NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help: Jammed clicklock clamp on rear of CPC1100

Can somebody help please... I attached my Baader Clicklock Clamp for SCT (3.25" thread) to the back of my Celestron CPC1100 the other night and everything iced up. It felt a little tight when I put it on but now trying to unscrew it and remove it, it has seemingly tightened into an unmovable position. - It will not screw backwards or forwards.

Feeling sick with worry for the scope and the clamp, I gently applied force, then got heavier handed until I heaved and heaved - nearly wrecking my hand, but the thing won't budge. I have brought the scope inside to warm everything up in the hope it may loosen. I placed a heat pack around the clamp and it shifted slightly but has jammed again despite even more heating. Now I have forced it too much and snapped off the metal stud which turns the clamp (although it can still operate fine without it, this is not too good!)

I am thinking some WD40 sprayed on the thread may loosen the clamp but am slightly concerned about putting oil or grease anywhere near my telescope.

Any advice on how to remove this clamp please?

you would say it would be down to fitting it at cold temperatures and the clamp would of been contacted but so would the scope were they both at the same sort of temperature or was scope very cold and clicklock warm

I had a Baader visual back on an SCT that jammed on and just didn't want to come off. Finally resorted to a rubber strap wrench which did finally shift it, although I thought the rubber strap was going to snap first as I was putting so much force into it.

BTW I now have a collection of different sized strap wrenches. :D

John

After trying a chain strap wrench with a towel protecting the clamp, I resorted to a large set of Water Pump Pliers directly on the Baader clamp. The surface did not get too badly scraped or damaged, and the clamp came off - with quite a bit of force I can tell you!

The thread on the telescopes boss is not looking too bad at all thankfully, and gingerly screwing on the original telescope-back, it seemed to fit without any issues, so no thread damage on the telescope. - The Baader Clicklock clamp is a different matter though, and rather reveals the culprit in the problem. The thread on the clamp is slightly damaged and the black coating on the screw thread stripped off. It does not appear to have been a crossed thread as such but with the fine threading of the connection I would not be surprised if cross threading could easily happen.

With a bit of attention, I'm sure I could repair the clamp's thread with a kit (e.g from Loctite) but I am no way going to put that clamp near my scope at the moment!

Glad I didn't use the WD40.

Thanks all for the advice. Crisis over.

Next time, wipe all threads (that includes filter threads and T thread spacers/ adaptors etc) with a LIGHT ( I mean LIGHT) smear of boot polish (- your choice of colour!)

This will significantly reduce to possibility of binding.

Next time, wipe all threads (that includes filter threads and T thread spacers/ adaptors etc) with a LIGHT ( I mean LIGHT) smear of boot polish (- your choice of colour!)

This will significantly reduce to possibility of binding.

A handy tip if you don't have any anti-seize compound available. :D

John

Many thanks for the boot polish tip. Anti-sieze lubricant heh? Sounds like something I need for my knees. Would have saved my hands a lot of damage prising the clamp off though! Many thanks indeed for the advice folks...

I'll be screwing a lot more carefully in future and definitely using some lubricant. :D (Can't believe I said that!)

Many thanks for the boot polish tip. Anti-sieze lubricant heh? Sounds like something I need for my knees. Would have saved my hands a lot of damage prising the clamp off though! Many thanks indeed for the advice folks...

I'll be screwing a lot more carefully in future and definitely using some lubricant. :) (Can't believe I said that!)

lol:D

Archived