Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

OIII visual targets

SplintUK

I just got a Baader OIII filter so I had a good old look at the great Orion Nebula last night through my SW 200pds. But then I thought, "what should I look at next?" I know the veil should be good, but that's not up for the next few months so I thought it would be worth asking this venerable body to come up with the definitive list of OIII visual targets for an 8" reflector along the lines:

Name Catalog # Season to view

Orion nebula. M42. Winter to Spring

I'd be grateful for all additions to the list

Also while in Monoceros, try Hubble's Variable nebula, NGC 2261. It's a reflection nebula, so the filter won't help, but it's bright, with a distinctive comet-like shape, and I've viewed it from a dark site with an 80mm scope. In the same constellation, the Cone Nebula, NGC 2264, is very faint, but is an emission nebula so the filter would help, and even if you don't manage to see it there's still the associated cluster to admire (the "Christmas Tree").

Normally I would have thought that an OIII filter would not be the best for M42, a UHC would be best. However as noted The rosette is good, NGC 2022, NGC 2392, NGC 1535, NGC 1514, NGC 2359 ... are all good targets for an OIII filter.

Owen

M97, the Owl Nebula in Ursa Major responds very well to an O-III filter is is relatively easy to find with a low power eyepiece. I'd suggest searching for it with the filter in as it's very hard to spot without the filter. Once you have found it, keep the scope pointed in the same place and remove the filter. Because you know exactly where it is, you should still be able to see the nebula as a ghostly circle of light but not too far from it, in same field of view with a low powered eyepiece, is the elongated galaxy M108. WIth your eye dark adapted and on a night reasonably free of light pollution, they make a nice pairing. The galaxy more or less completely disappears when the O-III filter is in place though.

Archived