Equipment Advice

russell69

Hi

I am looking at getting a new scope, I did have the Celestron 130EQ but as a complete novice found it tricky to work so I am looking at the Nextstar 127 SLT. Is this a good scope ? my budget falls around this price range & having had a celestron product before i thought it looked good.

Any help would be grateful.

Thanks

Optically its a very nice scope for planetary and viewing the moon. I've not tried it on anything else as I tend to use the 200P in the observatory more (I'm too lazy to set the 127 up :) ). I can't vouch for the mount as I use the optics on an EQ5

I had this mount ages ago and the Celestron tracking and goto is very good. It will be suitable for photography of planets and moon using a webcam but not so for deep sky - you'd need an equatorial mount for dso's.

The Mak is great for planets with it's long focal length and high f-ratio and very sharp. contrasty views. It can be used for deep sky observing too, but bear in mind the fov is narrower than a newtonian. Some large objects at certain magnifications will overfill the fov.

Shame you can't increase aperture with your budget. Personally I'd want to go up to 6" or 8" after the 130mm. Hope that helps :)

(I still use Celestron electronics - probably the best in the commercial scopes inho)

Are you planning to do AP with the scope? I ask because, if not, I wondered if a 150P Dob (or even 200P) might be better. You won't get GOTO, but you would get loads more apperture for a lot less money. If GOTO is a must, then the 127 SLT looks good for the money.

Archived