NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help needed mounting my EOS 450d?

badboybubby

Hello,

I'm still new to this but am struggling to find an answer to my question. I've done various searches but still not found what I am looking for (wasn't that a U2 song?!)

Anyway,

I have a Skywatcher 127 Mak AZ GOTO, i'd like to mount my Canon EOS450d to the telescope assembly so I can take some guided shots. I'm able to take shots through the telescope itself using the T piece adapter but thats not my problem.

Is there any adapter that I can buy which will allow me to attatch my DSLR to my telescope tube?

Your advice is as always truly appreciated...

thanks

Scott

Do the tube rings not have a whitworth hole in the top? A standard 1 1/4" whitworth bolt (I think) should go through that, and into the bottom of the camera.

There are no tube rings....

It mounts on a Dovetail to the AZ Tripod, I suppose I could add tube rings?

Pic below

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO

If you measure the diameter of your tube then pick the appropriate size ring from here:

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Telescope Tube Rings

You only need the front one of the two with the thread and knurled knob on the top - but I think they come in pairs. It has a standard camera mounting thread. You'll need to balance the scope with the ring and camera mounted for best performance but do check the mount weight limit. Or you could use both rings and drill holes in the dovetail to mount it.

If you speak to FLO they might be able to source just the single ring or suggest a better solution. It's more common to mount the camera on the scope at prime focus (effectively making the scope a lens). But long exposure won't be possible cos it's alt/az :)

I agree with brantuk try a ring first, however first check the mounts spec and what weight the drive can handle with the OTA and camera together, also the ring would have to sit at the front or back of the scope so off balancing the setup which might effect your tracking rate, just remember that it's an alt az setup so you'll only get a few minutes exposure out of it before the image starts rotating, if it cant handle the weight try one of these, you would have to spin the camera . You wont need the OTA attached to the mount just the camera.

ScopeTeknix Medium-dovetail mounting block with camera mounting platform

Si

I agree with brantuk try a ring first, however first check the mounts spec and what weight the drive can handle with the OTA and camera together, also the ring would have to sit at the front or back of the scope so off balancing the setup which might effect your tracking rate, just remember that it's an alt az setup so you'll only get a few minutes exposure out of it before the image starts rotating, if it cant handle the weight try one of these, you would have to spin the camera . You wont need the OTA attached to the mount just the camera.

ScopeTeknix Medium-dovetail mounting block with camera mounting platform

Si

Thanks Brantuk and Si

Think I know what I need to do now...

There's no mounting holes available on the mirror cell of the Maks...you can't mount nuthing!

My bad!

Perhaps then a diy jobbie that fits into the finder show, a quick exchange of camera for finder and use the scope as a bigger finder. Unless there's a commercial adapter that does this already.

Archived