NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Broken Thumb Observatory

jmfdiver

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DSCF3468Medium.png

A mate came up to help me with the floor joists because I can't hold the drill all that well. Gave it all a second coat of paint with my left hand and today I have fitted one piece of floor because its a bit awkward with my thumb.

Hope this was helpful to those building from scratch. I had done this on my own before the broken thumb.

Jen

WoW Jen your build is excellent and well thought out. You certainly wont have any difficulties moving the roof with that many rollers.:)

I have 16 rollers on my 14' x 350lb roof and that rolls with ease.

Keep up the good work and let us know your progress.

Jen, very impressed with your observatory its looking better than mine already!

Sitting here looking at the progress pics of all the obs on SGL from around the world then noticed that we live in the same village lol.

I am a member of our local society SEKAS but I don't think ive seen you at any meetings.

Please let me know if you need any help with the rest of the build!

Lee

Jen, very impressed with your observatory its looking better than mine already!

Sitting here looking at the progress pics of all the obs on SGL from around the world then noticed that we live in the same village lol.

I am a member of our local society SEKAS but I don't think ive seen you at any meetings.

Please let me know if you need any help with the rest of the build!

Lee

It's a small world seperated by just 6 degree's :)

And also, aren't people just sort of, well kind, on here :)

Magnum, I am a member of Herne bay and Broomfield astro soc. I went to their stargazing live event at Ford Lane near the Huntsman and the duckpond. It's a pretty good spot with regards to a pretty much 360 horizon and not to bad with light polution.

Also there were a couple of blokes from Medway astro society present.

It's nice to know there are more of us in this area.

I am just having a tea break 3rd way through laying osb floor, in between rain showers. Cheers for the offer of help, I am pretty much there now.

Jen

Whats the Hernebay society like? I guess they are very new as I have only recently came across their website but they don't seem be active as there aren't any meetings listed except for this weeks stargazing live event.

I have been a member of sekas for 17 years, its very active with lots of talks and observing, we meet at the Simon Langdon School in Canterbury and Alkham village hall near Dover. Alkham Is a bit further to travel but we take turns car sharing if you want a lift!

I look forward to seeing the observatory progress.

Lee

The guy who runs it usually does a darksite meeting on a Friday night weather permitting which is my one night out a week down the pub:D but I think he had to have an op so wasn't very active.

Now a few of us have met I am hoping his website will be more active. Part of the reason I wanted to do this from home is my seven year old. It means I can go out if the weather is clear and be up and running in a very short time. The eq6 was a bit heavy so I had to take weights and scope off every time which was a pain. Floor is nearly done, just got the tricky bit to do now round the pier.

Jen:)

Archived