SLR- got one- now what? - I dont understand it

Was it a gift or did you buy it...?

Google throws up a few possible links to the user manual so you should be OK there...

Whilst some people are still using film cameras for astro work and producing superb results I wouldn't have said thats these days film is an ideal "medium" for starting photography and even more so Astrophotogrpahy...

The lack of immediate results will not allow you to quickly asses the images you are taking plus you have the cost of film and processing to take into account...

I think you would be better off looking around for a cheap DSLR the first DSLR that was really any use for astro work was the Canon 300D....

Peter...

My girlfriends grandad died a few months ago and this was left to us, we got it yesterday. It has a lense on it I think.

I am saving for a DSLR but since I have this I may as well get to grips with it first.

All I can find online are reviews, no 'how to' guides. Do most 35mm SLR have the same buttons? (ie can I find instructions for a different SLR and use them to figure mine out?)

The problem with gettign to grips with it is the lack of immedeate feedback...

I remeber when I strated with film SLR's when I was 8 years old that I woudl keep a notebook with the exposure settings used for every frame...

I did find one site with the X570/X500 manual as a scanned pdf... I downloaded it and there didnt seem to be any X500 specific info in there but it might be worth a look...

Konica Minolta X-570, X-500 User manual Download

Peter...

Nick down to your local books seller (Waterstones etc) and buy a book on DSLR photography; there are many introductory (and cheap) books available.

Doug Harman's "The Digital Photography Handbook" @ 6.99gbp comes to mind.

Thank you psychobilly I am downloading that PDF now.

The missus wants to know how to open it safely to develop the film left inside.. if their is one just in case of a rare photo of her grandad or family.

Thankyou all for the helpfull and not so helpfull tips.

I was hoping I had just entered the world of astrophotography by accident... but I will wait for the DSLR for that.

thanks again.

Page 21 of the manual which is page 23 of the PDF shows you how to rewind the film and remove it...

Seeing as its going to be processed inthe lab I would keep rewinding until the leader has gone back into the cartridge... rather than waiting for the rewind button to pop..

Peter...

ok what would be my best choice of DSLR?

I would prefer to get something future proof but also proven to make great astrophotos. I only have a 4.5" scope so I understand this will reduce the need for uncropped sensors right?

A lot of people in the other threads say 1100D is best but is there any better? or is this one the GOD of cameras?

Had a X700 for 30 years.. not used for 10 I guess. Great cameras in their time

Me too ,camera of the year as well if i remember rightly.Minolta packed in with cameras when digital came in as it was all to do with sensors which any tom [removed word] or harry can bang in compared to proper camera making.Im still convinced film produces a better real image when compared to my canon g11.Keep hold of it i say

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

ok what would be my best choice of DSLR?

I would prefer to get something future proof but also proven to make great astrophotos. I only have a 4.5" scope so I understand this will reduce the need for uncropped sensors right?

A lot of people in the other threads say 1100D is best but is there any better? or is this one the GOD of cameras?

It depends what you want out of it, dedicated astro use or an all rounder?

Nothing is future proof really but as far as DSLR's go Canon have better software support for astro work. For the price level the 1100D is in I would say yes. It's the one I would choose if I were starting again. I have it's predecessor the 1000D which replaced my Nikon for astro work. I am well impressed, I have also modded it by removing the internal filter from the sensor. That makes a lot of difference to sensitivity but changes the colour balance for daylight use. I only use it for astro so not an issue for me.

With the 1100D its really about "bang for the buck"... the key things for me in its spec are 14 bit , and Digic IV processor... the lightweight compact body helps minimise the load on the focuser...

The only thing they threw out with the bathwater was Mirror lockup... personally I have never used it its more important on bright targets with short exposures at longer focal lengths n wobbly tripods...

I haven't got an 1100D but do have the Canon 350D/1000D/500D & 7D Nikon D50/D200 and a Konika/Minolta 5D...

I have also briefly used a Canon D30 waste of Time Early generation DSLR way to noisy to be any use and a 450D...

Peter...

I will be using it solely for astro.

Ok, then my recommendation would be the 1100D. I don't see the point in going for the higher spec models either as:

a) You'll not really use the extra features

:) once you're hooked the next step is cooled CCD so save your money :)

c) You'll eventually want to mod it and if you mod it yourself and break something :D it's a cheaper loss!

Have a look around on here you'll see plenty of people using them. Canons are well tried and tested for astro work so you'll get plenty of help & advice.

this thread has made me dig out an old Yashica Super TL ( 1973 build and last used in 1978). while digging around i found a 35mm prime F1.8 m42 screw fit Komura lens and a 135MM @ F2.8 Komura lens.

may have to shove some film in and compare them to my canon body and lens on a few moon shots

Archived