Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M42 first attempt

I've been waiting for M42 to be in the right position from my observatory to image it. Last night everything was set and I managed to get 35min of data with my QHY8 - and 3/4 the aperture of my ED-80 as the wall of the obby (and next door neighbours shed) is in the way at that declination.

Also, it appears that my QHY8 isn't cooling so I was pretty happy with the results. It's a beautiful object as seen in many of the images posted by others on SGL each unique interpretation of it's colours and lighting has helped me process mine.

Now if I could just raise my pier a little higher and get my TEC working I'd have something comparable to those images I've seen posted here :)

Some detail shots of this can be found on my website - link below.

post-14524-13387771759_thumb.jpg

Lovely pic... the running man's just starting to show... a few more/longer subs will really bring it out. Colours are great too... once the running man starts to show brightly you'll get the lovely contrast between the turquoise/blue of the running man area with the reds and pinks of M42/3...

It really is a joy to image :-) Just wish it was around and in a good position at a good time for more of the year! :-(

Ben

brilliant first attempt Im sure you will come back to it again and again such a lovely nebula

Thanks - I just checked out your astro images - Flame Nebula - spectacular! Very well done

David

Well done David, lovely image.

What's the story with the QHY8 not cooling then?

Carole

Thank you Carole - the QHY8 is a great camera but I've had doubts about whether mine was cooling up to speed - we're doing various tests to try to ensure it is - in the meantime it seems to giving some results.

David

Edit/update: ...most of the tests indicate it is cooling...and I just need to....chill out :-)

Archived