Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Supernova in Leo

acey

I observed supernova SN2012A last night/this morning (around midnight) with my 12" flextube dob at a dark site with SQ 21.2 (equivalent limiting magnitude 6.2).

Plan was to find it just before moonrise, so that it would be as high as possible, but I foolishly mistimed things and the moon began to rise just as I began to search for the host galaxy (NGC 3239) so I knew I'd have to be quick.

The galaxy is an easy star-hop from Regulus; I'd viewed it a few years ago and recalled that the key was to find the 9th mag foreground star on its edge. This star is the SE apex of a distinctive small triangle of stars. The galaxy was brighter and easier than I remembered (probably because this time I knew exactly what I was looking for). The 9th-mag star drowns out the galaxy's light and makes it much harder to see than it would otherwise be.

The sky was rapidly brightening and I had what was effectively a searchlight shining at the side of my face (since the 74% illuminated moon was rising below Leo). But within the fading galaxy, just east of the 9th-mag star, I could see the much fainter twinkling of the supernova (nearly five magnitudes or a hundred times fainter). I used a 6mm eyepiece giving magnification x250. Even as the galaxy disappeared from view in the moonlight, I could still see the twinkling supernova.

Seen at the meridian in a dark sky it ought to be easy, given sufficient aperture and magnification.

congratulations on the find. im way off that sort of observing with my experience and equipment . but its interesting reading these reports. i mean a whole galaxy dissapears under the moonlight but the supanova within it IS still visible. amazing stuff. thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...

Acey

I managed to see the SN tonight with averted vision but it was coming and going at 11pm as Leo was still low. I could clearly see the triangle of stars and just discern the glow of NGC 3239. Very tough though in a 10 inch scope.

Also managed another galaxy hunt above the plough to bag NGC 3471 & 3562 tonight which were both very faint and small. I wnt back to NGC 3735 which is much bigger and interesting, a bit like NGC 891 in a way..Limiting magnitude tonight was about 14.0.

That sky is much hazier tonight than on Thursday night now the cold continentanl air from Michael in the Netherlands is on its way accross the UK.

Finally checked on Mars..boy that polar cap is very white at the moment..

Awaiting a ND filter to try on the planets as I hear it helps with detail...Might even help on some of those galaxies?

Mark

Sounds like this target likes the extra aperture of a 12' scope! I had my 10' out a few nights ago and the 'triangle' of stars was a pretty easy find - but NGC 3239 proved an elusive target due to light pollution. I was able to spot the glow a few times while moving the scope slightly...same with SN2012A - one or two averted views...but nothing consistent as SN2011fe was last fall. I'm hoping the next week or two will allow me to head to my dark spot to repeat your experience.

Archived