Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Sun 14/01/12

Tzetze

This is my first hack at producing a solar image. It's a stack of 67 images taken with SW ed80, baader solar film, canon 450D. I don't yet have a #58 filter so used a #56 from my celestron eyepiece kit. (Although, it seems a continuum + IR blocker is a better option?) Processing was done in Registax 5.1 and Photoshop CS5.

This was the first attempt at processing and I can see that it needs reworking. The sunspots appear 'clipped' (not sure if that's the correct term here). Nevertheless, I'm quite proud of it and look forward to improving.

6697218511_0f9288fd97_b.jpg

That's an exellent first attempt. You have good focus and the spots and surface granulation is there. I think you have overdone the contrast/curves as you have lost quite a bit of limb detail but that data will still be on your originals so can be recovered easily. You have to be pretty subtle with PS!

After a few more processing attempts I'm happier with where this image is heading. I'm embarrassed by the first attempt posted above, but I'll resist the temptation to delete it so as to highlight the progression.

I think I was too eager to bring out granulation detail at the cost of the overall effect. Granulation is much less detailed in this reworking but perhaps that will only come out when using the correct filters?

6701050895_c84daa5c4c_b.jpg

That is a much better rendition! With a bit of practice (and good seeing to get a decently detailed image in the first place!!) you will soon be able to get the granulation showing. Maybe try a little more unsharp mask when using Photoshop.

PS I don't mean your image is poor! Just that processing is easier when the original image is better - if you see what I mean :D ???

I like both. In the first image, the granulation appears as the subject of the photo, augmented by the sunspots. The second one is nice also with the sunspots the subject. Both are nice images:icon_salut:

Thanks for the kind words guys. I agree and prefer the second attempt. It's frustrating not to have been able to get some more solar shots since - hopefully that will change sooner rather than later.

I'm planning go the extra few quid and pick up a baader continuum filter rather than a #58 in the next week or two. I'll hold off on the IR blocker for the very reason you outlined Cschur.

Archived