NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Some Double Stars in Leo

6 Leo with my 12" x70 magnification

6LeoDouble.png

6 Leo is a binary pair located 482 ly from Earth. The primary appeared an obvious dark yellow. No colour seen in the secondary. Separation 37.4" PA: 075 degrees

--

Struve 1360 with my 12" x150 magnification

STF1360Leo.png

Struve 1360 is located close to 6 Leo in the night sky, but is considerably closer to Earth at 154 ly away. At x70 it lay just outside the same FOV as 6 Leo. Mag 7.5 and Mag 8.0 pairing. Both appeared yellow. The preceeding edge star was noted as the slightly brighter one. Separation 14.2" . No PA taken.

--

Struve 1389 with my 12" x 150 magnification

STF1389Leo.png

Struve 1389 was the best pairing of the night. A really tight double with a hint of yellow-orange seen in both. Mags 8 and 9. Separation 2.3". No PA taken.

Great report Seb and very nice sketches :)

Binary stars are not everyone's cup of tea but I find them quite compelling and something that can deliver satisfying viewing in conditions where little else is worth viewing, eg: due to moonlight.

I feel that they are a real test of equipment / observer / seeing conditions too :D

Archived