Using a car battery for a power supply?

I would like to start using an external power source rather then batteries in my celestron. I know you can get branded power units as such...but i guess the price puts me off when i know i could probably pay half and get a car battery instead.

I just wondered if other people did this? Would i just need the right 'jack' for my telescope and an inline fuse?

Thanks in advance :)

Sent from a Galaxy S 2 far away.

Rather than trying to condense an answer here if you do a search of the forum for 'leisure battery' you'll find a wealth of info about prices, connections and even diy boxes to tidy up the battery setup.

A search for 'car battery' would probably show far less.

A redundant 12v power supply from old PC scanner's, printers ect, i use a Netgear 12v 5amp from a 16 way switch, extended the 12v cable so the mains side stays in the kitchen with the 12 cable only getting dew'd up, there are these which i have, not got the larg'ish car battery yet.

Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions

Car batteries are designed for one big oomph! to get the car started and then for them to be recharged. Leisure batteries, on the other hand, are designed for a constant, slow current delivery over a period of time (for example running the lights in a boat or caravan all evening).

Leisure batteries are initially more expensive than car batteries (and you will need a good charger/conditioner) but they will last for years if looked after and will work out cheaper in the long run.

Their capacity is given in Amp-hours (Ah). A 100Ah battery can provide 1amp for 100 hours or four amps for 25 hours. But (there is always a but!) you should only run your battery down for around half its stated capacity.

You can add up all the bits you run to see what your battery will do: In my case I have:

Mount 1amp (when tracking)

Lappy 3.5 amps

Dew heater 2 amps (when in use)

Total either 4.5 amps or 6.5 amps

So my 75 Ah battery will cope with somewhere between six and eight hours use before I have to recharge it. More than enough for a nights work. (The lappy is a real current guzzler! Without it I can run for 25-30 hours if i needed to).

i use a 70 a/h 12v car battery of a newish car from the scrap yard only cost a £10. its big enough to power my scope all my heaters and a 12v hair dryer in need be, and never drops below 12v even when used for 5 hours +

That would explain why i didn't get much info when i searched for 'car battery' hehe...

So they are useable, but a leisure battery is preffered? I wouldn't be running anything but my telescope for now and judging from how long my 8 AA batteries have lasted i think if i can get a car battery for cheap like stated above, it might be worth it. I would of course like something neat with a built in red light but since i've been renting a house my funds are very limited :D ...i guess i'll weigh up the pros n cons first though.

I remember using a car battery to charge my 2000nicad and 3000nimh batteries when i used to race r/c cars :) It just seemed like it could work for as a telescope power supply too.

Hmmm...unintentional long post.

To save asking about something possibly discussed many times before i will google the rest guys and ask my sparky friend too, thankyou all for the heads up :D

Edit: and cheers bizibilder for the informative post!

Sent from a Galaxy S 2 far away.

Most of the commercial mounts are 12V but it's amp hours you want (ah) that last longer on those cold nights. Maplins do some reasonable 17ah power tanks/car starter packs for £35-£55 that are as good as the £100 plus badged power tanks.

Better still - a leisure battery as mentioned above will cost around £80 for 85ah (plus a bit more for a charger). Much better proposition - try local caravan sales stores :)

Archived