Im finally spitting out my dummy!!!

DKD, I have noted all your recommendations and will try and find them, hopefully a clear night we shall have tomorrow. Would a 25mm eyepiece be suitable eg the one that came with the scope?

There's your problem - you're using a low magnification eyepiece. Do you have an eyepiece with a *smaller* focal length, e.g. 10mm?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the same scope although mine is the goto version. Jupiter's bands and moons are clearly visible with both the 25 and 10mm eyepieces supplied although since my X-Cell LX 7mm arrived yesterday my views are on a different level.

Regarding the moon being too bright, leave the end cap on the end of the tube. Remove the smaller cap that's on the end cap. This reduces the amount of light entering the tube and make views if the moon far more tolerable.

Paul

There's your problem - you're using a low magnification eyepiece. Do you have an eyepiece with a *smaller* focal length, e.g. 10mm?

Sorry, to clarify. Clusters and larger DSOs don't need high magnification. Because planets are brighter they can take more magnification as mentioned above.

I think Spaceboy has it covered you need to understand what you can expect to see and what it is your actually seeing. I'm really new to this I've only had my scope a week and had one clear night so far and all I've managed to glimpse so far was Juputer through the stock 28mm stock ep but even with that the image albeit small was crisp and bright and I could see bands of colour. I could see 4 bright pin pricks of light which I assumed were 4 moons. I was seeing something millions of miles away, I can't wait to get out tonight with my better eps. The light pollution here is aweful (I didn't realise how bad until I took a walk round the neighbourhood last night) I live in the city and am surrounded by retail/industrial units that have spot lights on all night but that first view was amazing and I'm sure there will be many more. Don't give up I'm sure we've both got many more of those wow moments to come. I can only echo the advice already given here go along to your local club (take your scope maybe?) there will be people willing to help plus the local clubs have events and talks.

Don't give up!!

good advice all round. you'll get there. your eyes get better at finding out detail the more you practice . i get a nice view of jupiter with just x60 or so in my 90mm refractor. good luck.

Many posts have already said that you will not see through the EP views comparable to those taken with CCD imaging. A more realistic idea is given by looking at skeyches done at the EP. Have a look at Belt of Venus where you can see some excellent sketches of the Messier objects and other DSOs.

Good luck.

HTH

hi ,it sounds like to me you need a club to join,the scope you have is great i was looking at the polar ice caps on mars with one last night and could not be-leave the views it gave my 300p is the same great views did you do any research on what you can actually see are the mirrors aligned ok ?

Archived