Jupiter GRS Jan 12th

Space Cowboy

First Jupiter of 2012! Just a quick process got several more avis to go through. Seeing was quite stable but transparency was not great so detail is fuzzy. This is probably my last session of Jupiter for 2011-2012 as Jup is now nearly 20% smaller.

Auto Dob + DFK + 5x Powermate @ over f30 (extended dfk as seeing improved).

space-cowboy-albums-jupiter-picture15172-jup-7-50pm-jan12th.png

Very nice Stuart, I have been looked back at all your posts for the last 2 years, and there seems to have been a dramatic improvement over the last year, what would you say made the biggest difference, Scope, Powermate, of DFK?

Lee

Very nice Stuart, I have been looked back at all your posts for the last 2 years, and there seems to have been a dramatic improvement over the last year, what would you say made the biggest difference, Scope, Powermate, of DFK?

Lee

Thanks Lee!

Biggest difference was moving up from my little skymax 127 to the 10" Dob. With the skymax I was imaging at 4.5 meters fl but with the Dob it's over 7 meters and that makes a big difference. Jupiter being much higher elevation in 2011 also made a huge improvement in clarity and detail. Obviously my skills have come on leaps and bounds since I started 2 yrs ago both in capturing and processing. The DFK is better than the spc900 webcam but not dramatically and the powermate is the icing on the cake though if your on a budget or have a scope slower than f5 I would not bother with the 5x powermate.

Cheers for all your comments guys!

Hi Stuart still producing quality Jupiter's I see. If that is your last it's a nice one to end with. Colour looks good resolution looks good. If there was a award for improvements in amatures plantary images think you should get it. And yes FL around 7M and over is very important as you have discovered this year. Get a uv filter for venus this year. If you don't my money is you will regret it. It's going to be the year of venus stay tuned. I have the astrodon though the cheaper schuler is also good. BTW thought I saw your Jupiter image on the sky at night programme but I don't know your second name ?

Hi Stuart

I also thought that image may have been yours on Sky at Night, was it?

Apologies as I don't want to hijack your thread but can I ask what exactly you mean by having a focal length of 7m as mentioned by Neil? I assume it's a calculation of using your scope & the X5 Powermate? Seeing both you guys having great imaging success I'd like to give it a shot if possible with my set up!

Excellent work! Your image has got me looking into dobs. If the standing position takes up as little space as the internet images seem to indicate it could be a good solution for my situation of limited space. Would that fit on a small balcony or flats walkway?

Hi Stuart still producing quality Jupiter's I see. If that is your last it's a nice one to end with. Colour looks good resolution looks good. If there was a award for improvements in amatures plantary images think you should get it. And yes FL around 7M and over is very important as you have discovered this year. Get a uv filter for venus this year. If you don't my money is you will regret it. It's going to be the year of venus stay tuned. I have the astrodon though the cheaper schuler is also good. BTW thought I saw your Jupiter image on the sky at night programme but I don't know your second name ?

You are very generous Neil! Your work has been my inspiration over the last 2 yrs! :) Thanks for the Venus tips!

Excellent work! Your image has got me looking into dobs. If the standing position takes up as little space as the internet images seem to indicate it could be a good solution for my situation of limited space. Would that fit on a small balcony or flats walkway?

Not sure if the Dob would be suitable as the OTA is low to the ground compared to a tripod mounted scope. The base is only just over 20 inches wide but when the OTA is at 40 odd degrees it takes a fair bit of space if you are meaning using it in a small area.

Hi Stuart

I also thought that image may have been yours on Sky at Night, was it?

Apologies as I don't want to hijack your thread but can I ask what exactly you mean by having a focal length of 7m as mentioned by Neil? I assume it's a calculation of using your scope & the X5 Powermate? Seeing both you guys having great imaging success I'd like to give it a shot if possible with my set up!

Yes the focal length of your scope x the barlow size to produce the total fl.

Archived