Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

400d computer control in bulb mode

austen4

Hello all,

I ended up buying a 400d but I have read that you cannot control camera in bulb mode unless with hacked software. The whole reason of buying another camera was that there was working software that would have all of the features of the camera but just on the pc. I googled a solution but before I did that does any one know software to control camera in bulb mode???

Thanks all

I have a 400D and use APT to control it.

The 400D requires a serial shutter cable to control the exposure beyond 30 seconds. Commercially available items cost between £18 and £25 (Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions) and then you'll need a USB to serial converter if your PC only has USB ports. You also need a USB cable going to the camera's USB port to view what's been taken

Alternatively, it's fairly simple to make one if you have a little soldering experience

SerialCableOpto.jpg

More info EOS Bulb Exposure Control Software Betelgeuse Observatory

I have a 500d and use the Canon EOS utility software supplied with the camera to take automatic bulb settings through the USB port. Set the camera to bulb and enable the timer function in the software, set the desired exposure time and the interval time (exposure time + 10 secs for example) and the number of exposures you want and click start.

You can't use mirror lock up with the timer, but it doesn't really matter for DSOs.

Simon

Thanks for the reply malc-c and Phycobilly. Malc-c, what software do you use with the serial cable?

Thanks again muchly appreciated

EDIT : dont worry about the software question Malc-c just read it again :icon_scratch:

No worries... I use APT as per Spikey's post - well worth the few Euro to get the full version -

Archived