Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Preparing an eyepiece case

kuro

Ok, I bought one of the small maplins flightcases today. My question is what is the best way to cut the foam.

It is diced vertically but not horizontaly so i guess it still has to be trimmed by hand to the required depth and after seeing some of the setups on here i thought i'd ask the experts.

Cheers

I pull out (in one go) all the cubes that cover the floor area of the item in question (for example a 5x4 block) and then use a bread knife to cut the depth (which can vary based on kit in question.)

Once done, push back in and you have the perfect aperture for the kit :icon_scratch:

I just split blocks of foam cubes that are approx the right size for my eyepieces away from the rest down to a depth of about 5cm. Leaving the blocks in place, I then press the eyepiece gently down on the block which sinks down beneath it into a hollow in which the eyepiece rests, held in place by the foam spikes in the lid of the case. That way you can revise the size and arrangement of the hollows as your equipment changes - which used to be frequently in my case !.

I pull out (in one go) all the cubes that cover the floor area of the item in question (for example a 5x4 block) and then use a bread knife to cut the depth (which can vary based on kit in question.)

Once done, push back in and you have the perfect aperture for the kit :icon_scratch:

That is exactly how I do mine;) I like my eyepieces to be slightly countersunk into the foam about half their diameter that way when the case is open there is no chance of rolling around.

This is all very interesting. I have just acquired an old hinged lid wooden wine bottle case which i am hoping to convert into a make-shift eyepiece case. The space inside is just the right size and depth, if i can get hold of some foam i'll give that a go.

Flinty

That is exactly how I do mine;) I like my eyepieces to be slightly countersunk into the foam about half their diameter that way when the case is open there is no chance of rolling around.

Now you see I differ on that point. I prefer mine to be raised above the level of the foam surface so the pointy bits in the lid hold them firmly when the case is closed (and they don't rattle up and down!) :icon_scratch:

Not lots, just 5-7mm or so.

If I am understanding the format of the pluck foam you are talking about, you mean its cut along the length and width of the case but not down into the depth of the case so to speak.

Thats like mine. In that case one forms the shape of the eyepiece in lenght and width and separates this shaped piece right down to the bottom of the case(the case floor). One then pulls out the whole piece and cuts it with a scissors to create the depth for the eyepiece one wants. You then re-insert the piece you cut with the rough scissors cut side facing downwards, ie. against the floor of the case, leaving the nice fresh flat side facing up.

This method works fine for eyepieces as they are symetrical about the length axis. However one couldn't use this method for a finderscope for instance because its not symetrical and when you tried to re-insert your scissors trimmed piece upside down the protrusions would be facing left instead of right or visa versa if you get me.

If I am understanding the format of the pluck foam you are talking about, you mean its cut along the length and width of the case but not down into the depth of the case so to speak.

Thats like mine. In that case one forms the shape of the eyepiece in lenght and width and separates this shaped piece right down to the bottom of the case(the case floor). One then pulls out the whole piece and cuts it with a scissors to create the depth for the eyepiece one wants. You then re-insert the piece you cut with the rough scissors cut side facing downwards, ie. against the floor of the case, leaving the nice fresh flat side facing up.

This method works fine for eyepieces as they are symetrical about the length axis. However one couldn't use this method for a finderscope for instance because its not symetrical and when you tried to re-insert your scissors trimmed piece upside down the protrusions would be facing left instead of right or visa versa if you get me.

Good advice, I might try that tonight but then again looking out at western beacon on dartmoor at the moment its seems that there may be clear skies tonight.:icon_scratch:

Archived