Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Charles Messier's first 'original' discovery...

Tim

...was apparently not M1 as you might think, but globular cluster M3.

This cluster contains around half a million stars, is further away from us than the centre of the galaxy, and is about 200 ly in diameter.

I took this sequence the other night with my Skywatcher Quattro 10" F4 newtonian and QHY8 camera. Sub length was 15 minutes, a total of 20 captured. Flats hurriedly grabbed a couple of days later in less than ideal conditions and it shows :( Star shapes were not great either as I had to dismantle the camera and filters to remove a dew spot and putting them back properly in the dark proved tricky, I must grow an extra hand or two :o

This is a cropped image, for the full frame and full size versions please see my Flickr site.

Thanks for looking.

Tim

tim-albums-quattro-pictures-picture15100-m3-quattro-qhy8-2012-3hr20min-crop.jpg

Maybe, it looks ok on here, but i'll run it though PI's SCNR to remove the green.

EDIT: Yes I think you were right Nadeem, cheers for that. As usual looking at something for too long :(

Nicely captured and processed Tim. Is your QHY8 OSC or mono ?

Thanks.

It is one of the original type OSC's. I dont use it much at home because it is tricky to find a good RGB target on rare moonless nights. This M3 was taken with a 3/4 moon and a light hazy sky. I find narrowband imaging much more rewarding really, but the OSC does make for quick and easy processing, or at least it would if there wasn't such a bad LP gradient round here :icon_scratch:

Archived