NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Seems too cheap....

Mav359

Hi guys

Am i being paranoid?

i am thinking about plunging into the world of CCD, however looking at the specs of the various camera brands you appear to get a lot more for your money with the QHY range.

Are they cheaper for a reason?

i've already put this to Bernard as well but i just wanted more users opinions on them, reliability, build quality, are your pleased with etc...

Cheers

I use a QHY IMG2pro .... its similar to the SX H9/ATIK 314L but with better cooling.

Reliable and it takes great images. Very pleased with mine.

Sample images can be seen on my site - link below. Live View/Previous Live View images are all basic stacks of imaging runs.

I have a 6 an 8L, the 6 has been faultless, the *L has gone back once as the Tec unit failed, and I have had to replace the inbuilt IR Filter as combined with a reducer and LPF i was getting reflections on bright stars.

However I have found the 8L when all is ok to be a great camera, and a massive reduction in noise vs DSLR.

Hi guys

Am i being paranoid?

i am thinking about plunging into the world of CCD, however looking at the specs of the various camera brands you appear to get a lot more for your money with the QHY range.

Are they cheaper for a reason?

I have the QHY6 for guiding and the QHY8 (with a DC102 for regulated cooling) for imaging. Both have given me great results so far. The guide camera (QHY6) is so good I haven't had to move it to find a guide star once and the QHY8 lets me grab as many subs as I can in the brief clear nights we have here in the UK - filter wheels would've driven me nuts :D.

I was new to guiding AND imaging when I bought these cameras and the steep learning curve of that subject somewhat clouded my first attempts in that I wasn't sure it was all working correctly - in the end it was down to me getting use to the equipment, setup routine and image processing . Now when I go out to the observatory I'm up an running in about 5 minutes - the cameras are that straight forward to use.....and no need for Darks :)

Good luck with your decision - I'd vote for the QHY range.

David

Very interesting :) I've been looking into using the QHY series cameras for imaging. Maybe the 6 to start with then a more expensive imaging camera later and the 6 for guiding.

Archived