Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 869 and NGC 884 - The Double Cluster in Perseus

AlexxxAA

Living in Los Angeles really limits the objects I can see. Galaxies are vistually out of the question. As I was scanning my star chart to see what bright object was in view, I noticed that the famous Double Cluster was high enough to view. As I peered into the eyepiece, I'm blown away by the amount of stars in view! And besides that, alot of the stars have noticeably nice red colors!

It was a beautiful sight of about 150 stars all together. I've been doing some comparisons to star charts and it appears that for stars, my 8" newt can go down to 12mag.

It was a magnificent sight even here in Los Angeles. Just wanted to share it with you guys :(

An 8" mirror should have a limiting magnitude of about 14 but with light pollution you will be severely hampered. Yes I agree, the double cluster never fails to make me go WOW especially against a very black sky!

One of my favourite objects and one that always put a smile on the face of anyone I show it to. It really does look as good through the eyepiece as any photo I've seen of it. There's one really red star smack in the middle of the space between the two clusters.

Archived