Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Filter for Canon550D connected to SCT for prime focus

anthony2577

Hello to All.

And a very Happy New Year, hoping that there will be more clearnight skies in the UK than 2011, truly an awful year!!!

Having moved on from successful webcam imaging with Jupiter I have recently acquired a s/h Canon 550D which I will attach to my Celestron 11"Edge sct. and hopefully try DS photography at prime focus.

I have no plans to "mod" the Canon at present as the cost is quite high!! but propose using various appropriate filters.

I believe that there are some which 'clip' to the inside of the camera body.

I shall be grateful to receive advice / wisdom on this matter and look forward to receiving 'posts' from you Seasoned Amateurs.

Clearskies.

anthony2577

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many thanks Stagman,

To my delight a quick search on the Internet revealed that they can be purchased from '365 Astronomy' a reliable Company from whom I have dealt with many times.

Silly me I could have phoned Zoltan in the first place.!!! oh well, but your reply was very quick.

anthony

Hi, Anthony,

be a little bit careful with the CLS clip filter.

It was designed for the older 40D/300/350 series, which has a square edged recess in front of the mirror.

I have a 500D and the recess is chamfered, si it does not sit so well.

I am guessing the 550D is similar, but I suppose some blue tak will hold it in place.

The filter is very good at blocking the old style sodium lighting, but the new LED types bleed over the whole spectrum, so will reduce the effectiveness.

Now, looking at your locale, if you have low LP, then this filter will not really help you much. It will colour everything a nice shade of blue, so you will lose the colour balance from orange stars, etc.

I have one not in use for now, if you would like to borrow it for a while, then please pm me.

Gordon.

Hi, Anthony,

be a little bit careful with the CLS clip filter.

It was designed for the older 40D/300/350 series, which has a square edged recess in front of the mirror.

I have a 500D and the recess is chamfered, si it does not sit so well.

I am guessing the 550D is similar, but I suppose some blue tak will hold it in place.

The filter is very good at blocking the old style sodium lighting, but the new LED types bleed over the whole spectrum, so will reduce the effectiveness.

Now, looking at your locale, if you have low LP, then this filter will not really help you much. It will colour everything a nice shade of blue, so you will lose the colour balance from orange stars, etc.

I have one not in use for now, if you would like to borrow it for a while, then please pm me.

Gordon.

The earlier clip filters are not suitable for the later EOS cameras. I have one of the early cls filters and it fits my 30D and 450D but won't fit my 50D, however the newer filters will fit all the later EOS xxx cameras.

The filter is not suitable for use with EFS lenses though as the lens protrudes further into the camera body.

Hi, Stagman,

I have never connected the CLS to my 500D, as I now use a dedicated imaging camera..

But, to test it, I have just dropped in the CLS.

This is basically the same internals as a 5D I tried a year ago.

And yes, my CLS does hold in place, but the chamfer on the 500D means it is holding on by the skin of it's teeth. I am interested in how they might have re-designed the filter to make it more secure. (going to Astrofest, so will take a look)

With care, I am sure mine would be OK, but if it worked loose in service, I wonder what damage would happen, either to the filter or mirror/shutter...

G.

I've got a 500d and just bought a cls clip in filter and it fits secure in the camera body without any problems. It certainly enables longer exposures and the raws are certainly blue, but DSS seems to correct the colour balance. Others have taken some great pics using one, i'm still getting to grips with it at the moment.

Hi, Stagman,

I have never connected the CLS to my 500D, as I now use a dedicated imaging camera..

But, to test it, I have just dropped in the CLS.

This is basically the same internals as a 5D I tried a year ago.

And yes, my CLS does hold in place, but the chamfer on the 500D means it is holding on by the skin of it's teeth. I am interested in how they might have re-designed the filter to make it more secure. (going to Astrofest, so will take a look)

With care, I am sure mine would be OK, but if it worked loose in service, I wonder what damage would happen, either to the filter or mirror/shutter...

G.

I haven't seen the newer filters so can't really comment if they are more secure. The problem with the older filters was the actual fit and the tab that caused the problem with newer EOS cameras.

I have to agree that the fit of the filter could have been better and I hope this has been improved?

I do have one, but tend to only use it with faster optical systems (below f/5). For the slower systems, I use the SW LPR filter, and that works nicely, even with 10 minute exposures. I find the CLS is a little too harsh for slower systems, it might be that with a cooled mono CCD all would be well, but I'm using a dSLR.

These filters only fit DSLR's ? :icon_scratch:

The clip ins yes but the same filter(glass) is available in a whole range of other fitting options...

Hutech do an inbody filter system - the Multi Filter Adaptor (MFA) which uses slimline 1.25" filters ... I use this in my modded 1000D and a clip in in the other DSLR's...

Hutech Borg also do an adaptor set to use 2" filters on the SCT Visual back.. I have that seup as well..

I have a whole range of LP filters from Hutech , Astronomik, Lumicon and Baader Planetarium...

My personal favourite for my Low Pressure Sodium LP environment is the Hutech IDAS which I have in 2" and 1.25" MFA sizes...

Peter...

Antony,

How will you fit the camera body to the SCT?

There are filter slide units available which have SCT threads...these allow you to "drop in" any standard astronomical filter into the optical path.

Van Slyke and Gerd Neumann come to mind.

The clip ins yes but the same filter(glass) is available in a whole range of other fitting options...

Hutech do an inbody filter system - the Multi Filter Adaptor (MFA) which uses slimline 1.25" filters ... I use this in my modded 1000D and a clip in in the other DSLR's...

Hutech Borg also do an adaptor set to use 2" filters on the SCT Visual back.. I have that seup as well..

I have a whole range of LP filters from Hutech , Astronomik, Lumicon and Baader Planetarium...

My personal favourite for my Low Pressure Sodium LP environment is the Hutech IDAS which I have in 2" and 1.25" MFA sizes...

Peter...

Me too Peter 'Hutech IDAS'... plus I hate the CLS blue cast..

are these filters used to prevent the need for adaptation?are they effective enough.im considering 550d for astro and normal use,would like to save getting camera adapted and voiding warrenty if possable,but also coldnt afford to only use on astro.i understand ,if sent for adaption,i can choice a filter fitted that partially allows astro photography,but also allows normal use,is this a good option or would you recommend,obviously as im no photography expert in astro,to get the cls filter?cheers

are these filters used to prevent the need for adaptation?

Unfortunately not... Filters can only reduce the ammount of unwated light getting to the sensor ... they cant increase the wanted.... However the relative ammounts of "wanted" to "unwanted" will change allowing longer exposures.. even un-modded the 550 isn't too bad at capturing Ha especially when you have taken care of the Light Pollution

also,can i plug camera into laptop to monitor focus,subject ect.as i considered the only differance in 550d and 600 is the movable angle viewer.

Yes you can... You can either use the Eos Utils that came with the camera which will give you remote liveview and basic long exposure control and full control of the cameras settings ...

Or ....

Take a look at APT or Backyard EOS which will offer a lot of very useful astro realted features...

Peter...

Hi Gordon,

Many thanks for the valuable info contained in your reply.

The whole subject of astrophotography can be a bit of a minefield because even after carefully weighing up the pro's and con's before you make the decision to spend hard earned cash, you may find the 'unit' does not work as you expected.

Clearskies,

Anthony

Hi John

My Celestron Edge HD operates at F10 (at least until C. bring out the long awaited special f6 focal reducer). So I remain undecided and will continue to use my s/h dslr for the time being as quality Imaging cameras are beyond my ourse at present..

Clearskies

Anthony

Hi Merli,

How will you fit the camera body to the SCT?...Well for 'Prime Focus' I fit the standard T-Adapter to the camera body which then screws on securely to the back of the scope.

Hmm!.. I must look into these filters which have SCT threads and allow you to "drop in" any standard astronomical filter into the optical path.

Are the following:- Van Slyke and Gerd Neumann available from UK Dealers.?

Clearskies

Anthony

Unfortunately not... Filters can only reduce the ammount of unwated light getting to the sensor ... they cant increase the wanted.... However the relative ammounts of "wanted" to "unwanted" will change allowing longer exposures.. even un-modded the 550 isn't too bad at capturing Ha especially when you have taken care of the Light Pollution

Yes you can... You can either use the Eos Utils that came with the camera which will give you remote liveview and basic long exposure control and full control of the cameras settings ...

Or ....

Take a look at APT or Backyard EOS which will offer a lot of very useful astro realted features...

Peter...

Hello Again Psychobilly.... spelt correctly this time!!.

I have not yet had opportunity to use my 550D but interesting to read that an un-modded one isn't too bad at capturing Ha...particularly as I am lucky to live in area with very little light polltion.

Anthony

there are a few different ways to get a 2" filter into the optical path...

When I bought my "SCT" version of the Hutech IDAS LP filter it came aas three seperate items.. The 2" filter and a 2 part adpator kit Borg Part numbers #7424 and #7502 the filter fits in between the two adaptors and you end up with and SCT-SCT adaptor with a filter in the middle...

Normally whan I was using the DSLR on the SCT I woudl use a f6.3 Focal Reducer so the Hutech/Borg setup would fit ont to the scope and then the FR be fitted to it... I would then use a 55m SCT-T adaptor and EOS T-Ring to attach the camera...

You could use a SCT -2" Visual back and a T-2" pushfit adaptor (which are normally threaded to take 2" filters) and EOS T-Ring (which are normally threaded to take 2" filters)...

Peter...

Archived