Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Found First double star.

midge91

Hey,

Today I was casual mulling around the universe and came across a star of interest about 2/3rds of the sky up directly south at roughly 19:00. The colours were orange and blue any ideas whatc this was?

Gamma Arietis was precisely due south at 19:00. It's a very nice double, although the colours doesn't seem to match yours. They both look white to me.

EDIT: Gamma Andromedae is also a nice double in that area, a bit higher up, and its components are yellowish and blue. That sounds like your one?

EDIT: Gamma Andromedae is also a nice double in that area, a bit higher up, and its components are yellowish and blue. That sounds like your one?

Just researching a bit and looking at pictures and it looks like what I saw. I will check it in stellarium!

Definately not Jupiter and most definetly was a star as they were pinhole size

Yeah, what I thought. Just wasn't sure if you were unaided or at the EP. Keep us updated on what you find out!

There are LOTS of double stars up there. Probably more than single ones, but you have to know what you are looking for, and you have to understand whether they are true multiple systems, or just optical doubles. Regarding that, you should keep track of what eyepice you are using, so you can estimate how close the two stars are to one another. There are some outstanding double stars, with highly contrasting colors. Others look pretty much like "two white" pairs. Check out Polaris and see if you can find the faint blue companion to the main star. It is there if your equipment is working properly, and you know what you are looking for!

Polar Project

Jim S.

Archived