Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Looking for the RIGHT Apo....

So... having stated I wanted to complete my 'trinity' of imaging scopes early this year with a mid-range refractor to sit between the 345mm focal length of my reduced Megrez72 and the 1.2m focal length of my f6 Newtonian.... I am now trying to decide on a specific scope.

I guess my requirements are quite specific... but I just can't seem to find the prefect scope... everything seems to be a compromise.

It looks like I may be able to re-appropriate some funds from the imminent sale of our current house to the scope so the budget it reasonable (I think) given what I'm after...

What I ideally want is:

An apo refractor that, with any relevant flattener/reducer fitted comes out at between 500mm and 700mm focal length. It needs to also come out at f6 or faster... ideally f4.5 - f5. It needs to be of very good optical quality with a proven track record. It can't be TOO heavy... about 5 - 6kg is the top end as I want it to be able to go on the HEQ5 if necessary.

Budget is about £2K to £2.5K max.

My absolute ideal would be a bigger version of the Megrez72... at f6 native and 345mm fl, if there was a 800mm fl f6 bigger brother that, with the 0.8X reducer flattener came out at f4.8 and 640mm fl that would be absolutely perfect.

There doesn't seem to be any such scope though :-(

All scopes about the right focal length are f7 or slower and all the f6 ones are 5" or 6" diameter, way too heavy, 1m+ focal length and cost three times my budget.

Does anyone have any specific ideas on what might fit the bill?

I've so far looked at products from Takahashi, Williams, Skywatcher, APM, Altair and Vixen... and still can't find the right scope at the right price :-(

Help!

Ben

Hmmmm... the WO FLT110 is looking like a good contender at present... not quite as fast as I'd have liked... but assuming I can use it with the FR4 flattener/reducer and a DSLR without vignetting or anything bad happening I should get a very reasonable 616mm fl at f5.6.

Anyone used that combo? It says everywhere that the scope needs the WO TMB flattener to get a flat field big enough for a DSLR.. but using it with that at the native f7 is definitely too slow.

Anyone got 1st hand experience?

Ben

How about an ED80 with focal reducer? I guess that would be just outside your specifications though.

I had a SW ED80 (DS Pro) and the focusser simply didn't work on it (slipped out under any loading and couldn't be tightened up) so I sent it back and swore I'd not buy another SW scope again.

All of the ED80 type scopes are a bit too short in focal length for what I need, they're all about f7 and 600mm fl so, when reduced to f5.something come in below 500mm focal length which just isn' long enough... too close to the Megrez72 I already have.

Having now bought a few scopes from different manufacturers... the WO is by far the nicest made and most solid feeling, it's just chalk and cheese against the Synta scopes in terms of feel... that's why I am most tempted to go with another of theirs. I just want to know if the reducer will work with a DSLR first.

Ben

...though having said all that... I also saw the Officina Stellare 115mm 'Hyper Apo' on the WSC site:

Hiper APO 115 Refractor Telescope - Telescopes UK: Telescopes & Telescope Accessories in your only London shop

Now THAT is what I want.... but I don't think there is any way I can get away with buying a scope that is worth more than our car :-)

Not yet anyway :-)

Ben

You won't find a Perfect Scope...not even a WO is perfect...Regardless of what WO say..

Just get yourself a cheap chinese scope with a 314L+ at the back of it & do away with everything else... Keep it simple Ben, otherwise you'll be forever in this endless circle....

I had a SW ED80 (DS Pro) and the focusser simply didn't work on it (slipped out under any loading and couldn't be tightened up) so I sent it back and swore I'd not buy another SW scope again.

All of the ED80 type scopes are a bit too short in focal length for what I need, they're all about f7 and 600mm fl so, when reduced to f5.something come in below 500mm focal length which just isn' long enough... too close to the Megrez72 I already have.

Having now bought a few scopes from different manufacturers... the WO is by far the nicest made and most solid feeling, it's just chalk and cheese against the Synta scopes in terms of feel... that's why I am most tempted to go with another of theirs. I just want to know if the reducer will work with a DSLR first.

Ben

I recently bought a 383L+ & EFW 2 filterwheel for use with my ED 80 can had the same problem with the focuser not holding the weight. I've taken the focuser to bits and re-assembled with the result that the focuser is now holding the weight ok. Was hoping to try it out over Christmas but not had one clear night!

I'm surprized you feel a need for three FLs to cover that range. I use two scopes, one with reducer, be it said, to go from 328mm to 980. I never feel I have a hole in the middle but the scopes in question are good and can produce images which have no trouble being presented full size.

In truth I'd prefer a really good astrograph pitched near the middle to three lesser instruments with a wider span. I'd sell the Megrez and go for a used TeleVue 4 inch, Tak Baby Q or maybe FLT98 and enjoy working with pure gold.

Olly

Cheers all

This has just become somewhat academic as we've had some bad news on the financial front for this year so looks like I wont be getting a new scope any time soon.

The flt98/110 do look like a good option...

I'd prefer not to get rid of either of my existing scopes... but a single top quality refractor somewhere in the middle of that range does have appeal.

As for the 318L... gonna stick with the DSLR for 2012... then look into ccd's once I have a chance to get my obsy set up in a year or two.

Cheers all!

Ben

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Archived