NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Equitorial mount issues

Hi

We have just started using our scope and have found that once we have lined it up with Polaris and want to look behind us, say at Jupiter or Venus, we have to unlock the mount and turn the whole scope barrrel round.

This is ok, but is it normal that the lens should end up underneath/or at 45 degrees instead of in its normal place on top?

It also interferes with the fine tuning cables. Sometimes we end up hugging the barrel and this moves the line of vision. LOL

what are we doing wrong ,if anything?

Also when viewing the moon it is inverted through the lens. is this normal too?

cheers

Eriss

It's worth deciding what you are going to look at most and set the telescope tube at its most convenient orientation before using Polaris as you only have to use polaris once. :)

Thank you.

I did wonder if that was the case, but so much emphasis has been put on Polaris. I Know I need to set scope to Polaris when using motor, but i will try your suggestion.

cheers ;)

You need to align the mount axis on polaris there is no need to align the scope on it. it is normal to have to rotate the scope within the tube rings to move the focuser to a comfortable position (I think this is what you are talking about) Planning your viewing in advance can limit this but as you say its not a problem

You're Not doing anything wrong, everything you're saying is normal. You can modify the scope so you don't have undo the tube rings to move the scope but failing that it's just a case of spinning it in the tube rings as and when. Because of the way a telescope works your images will be inverted/back to front

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.395464,-2.610507

Archived