Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Going manual

I've been getting a little frustrated with the AZ goto mount which came with my scope when most of the time now I don't use the GOTO and seem to spend half my observing session either aligning the mount or holding down the button while it slews

So I decided to go for a manual setup and now soon (weather permitting) I'll be observing with this

Mak 127 + 9x50 RACI finder + Telrad + AZ4

I think a few other people are using this setup from what I've read here and I'm hoping that the finder combination will be nicely portable to any future scope purchases.

I've had the RACI for a while and find it's quite a nice optical instrument on it's own and a great compliment to the Mak when looking at nice large open clusters, which are too big for the 1.1 ish degree FoV of the Mak.

I'm looking forward to feeling a little more connected with the whole exploring the sky process than just holding the left right up down buttons and enjoying a bit more of the peaceful quiet that can go with observing. Not to mention not having to align the mount every time I go out.

The Telrad turned up from Rother Valley Optics today (good stuff since I only ordered it 24 hrs ago).

It's looking pretty clouding outside now so hopefully that means the AZ4 ordered a few days ago from FLO isn't far behind, sorry fellow Berkshire observers.

Thought I'd share the excitement :) and soon a picture of the new setup in the members equipment gallery and hopefully a first light report on the new mount.

Tyr

Sounds like a good plan. My mount is equatorial with only an RA motor. I generally release the clutches and point the scope manually at the right spot. I have a 16x70 45deg correct-image finder (soon to be right angled as well), which makes life so much easier. Once objects are found, the RA motor keeps things nicely in the FOV.

Alignment of the EQ mount for visual is very rough and ready, just point the polar axis northwards, and set the altitude according to your latitude, an away I go (5 minutes total setup time). If your scope takes too long to set up, you do not use it enough.

I use my Mak 127 with an AZ4 and it works really well. I use it for lunar / planetary observing from light polluted London and it makes for a reasonably quick "lug and go" setup. My 102 mm refractor and GOTO mount only gets used these days when I get out of London on a DSO hunt.

I use an AZ-4 with my Vixen ED102 refractor and a Giro-style alt-azimuth mount on a hefty CG5 tripod for my ED120 refractor and 10" newtonian. No electrics, no alignment, just put it down and use it :)

Not everyones cup of tea but I like the simple approach.

you know, i was thinking the exact same thing the past few days. let us know how you go, what it's like for tracking. i do seem to spend a lot of time standing there holding that button down...

Thanks for all the responses folk, definately intend to let you know how I get on with the setup.

Glad to hear other people have possitive experiences with the same kind of arangement.

Tyr

Archived