Where to start Astrophotography?

Hello,

Tonight I took my telescope out and my dad who is sceptical about the whole hobby decided to have a look. I got some really nice views of the moon and he decided to get his camera (he really likes photography.) and take some pictures. Now he wants to start Astrophotography! I know I haven't got a very good setup for AP but I would like to give it a try and then maybe in the future buy a better AP setup. What will I need to make a Canon DSLR camera fit to the telescope for better AP. What tips/products are recommened. My budget is about £50 to start with.

Thanks,

Midge

In the long term with the right type of mount and scope his camera could end up taking 20 X 5 minute exposures, while you will be sitting there twiddling your thumbs, sharing is fine, but Astrophotography is not really something that will suit a non astro photo type person.

Would it ever be possible to put my telescope on a EQ mount?

Not 100% sure but i'd say no. Its a dedicated OTA on a Dobsonian mount. But anything is possible. I'm sure you could buy an EQ mount and tube rings to fit.

Sorry i dont know. I just contradicted myself.

Yes, you would just need tube rings, a long dovetail bar and a beefy mount like an NEQ6 or better.

Unless you particularly want the 1200mm focal length, you would probably be better off with a much smaller scope for astrophotography. It is not like visual observing when you need aperture above all else. A small scope has a lot of advantages for imaging and is much easier to use.

Archived