Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Nebula in 2 hours on a full moon with the SuperNewt

Catanonia

At last I got the TS SuperNewt working with about 90% colimation, the comet trails from stars have gone :)

Even with the 1/2 moon up close to Orion all night and some haze, I just had to put it through it's paces.

The following image of Orion is just 2 hours under the moon in 3 minute subs.

LRGB = 7:11:11:11 all at 3 minutes.

Quick processing in PI and CS5

Ihave started to use Astrobin to store my images, so just click on the thumbnail below to see the full image.

99e6b320-dca7-4787-9879-815f8f650263_thumb.png

Still struggling with flats on the newt, and it is my 1st newt ever so pretty pleased I have managed something out of it.

Also need to practice controlling bright stars ;)

If I get some clear skies tonight, will see if my 8nm Ha filter will work with the scope.

EDIT : Added the piccy as an attachment too.

post-16631-133877711927_thumb.jpg

Yes but by heck you have some signal there, Cat!! Look at that dust.

Olly

Yes I was getting way too excited about it and make the image look like a mare.

I have some subs on M81/82 and believe it or not on 8 x 5 min subs I have the flux when before I could not get it even with 15 min subs on the MN190. Also the conditions were far from perfect.

Looking promising Cat - I did the same as you, took 2hrs of subs with my (slower) F4 and then stretched and pushed it way, way to far. In the end though, I still used that stretched image but layered it back over my less pushed version and it worked a treat (well I think it did!).

Wow - Obviously there's some really great things to come out of this scope - You must be very relieved to have got the cats eye collimation learning curve behind you though. The cost aside, I don't think I'd be able to cope with collimating an f4 reflector, let alone one at f2.8, but obviously well worth the effort...

Wow - Obviously there's some really great things to come out of this scope - You must be very relieved to have got the cats eye collimation learning curve behind you though. The cost aside, I don't think I'd be able to cope with collimating an f4 reflector, let alone one at f2.8, but obviously well worth the effort...

Yeah, has been a long struggle, made longer by the rubbish weather. But well worth it.

The collimation of the SuperNewt is actually done at F4 without the corrector element in. But of course it needs to be bang on as it will run at F2.8

I reprocessed these last night during internet outage, so hopefully will be able to post the "proper" image tonight.

Unless I had someone nearby to get me through the cats eye collimation process, I'd still struggle even at "standard" f4... ;). I'll just follow your posts (as I do Boren's) and simply stare at the screen in awe... I just love being able to see the dust that can be picked up with these super-newts :).

Archived