Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The WOW factor

justin138

I have had two occasions recently where I have shown Saturn and the Moon to people who've never looked through telescopes before.

The first was for the Interrnational Sidewalk Astronomy night, me and three other society members set up at Tescos and before long we attracted a large group of partygoers. The comments ranged from WOW, OOOOO, AHHHHHHH and several expletives and "you've stuck that on the front of the scope!"

The second was when a collegue at work asked me for advise on buying a scope for his wife. I took my Revelation to their house, WOW's, OOOO's and Ahhh's again.

I get a nice warm feeling from their comments and thoroughly enjoy telling them all about how scopes work, planets, galaxies etc. All the people concerned also assumed the Revelation was very expensive and when I told them how much it cost, they were all stunned!

People also assume that telescopes cost a fortune and that you need a degree in physics to operate, they were very surprised to look down the dob tube and see lots of air. Most were also surprised how much time it took to set the dob up ready for observing (1 minute!) and that there was no fancy alignment required.

Would be interested in others experiences of showing off our universe!

Justin

It was my husband's birthday last Monday and we had friends (a couple and Becky their 15-year-old daughter) around for a barbecue. It turned out clear, and the moon and venus were visible so set up the NS8 in the middle of the lawn (only place to see venus). First the moon and started with low magnification to see the whole disk and then upped it until around 300x. As you say lots of ooh and aaah s - and my friend said 'I didn't know what to expect, but not this!'. Then Venus to see that it wasn't round. Then a coffee and dessert break while it got dark and then the best - Saturn - even more oohs and aahs! :police: Finally the Ring Nebula - with my friend explaining to her husband how to see it with averted vision (great!). Becky was first in line every time, then sat on the grass just looking up, and said she's going to get the binoculars out at home now. RESULT :D and I think as much fun for me introducing others as seeing for myself (which is just as well as I didn't get a look in on Monday!)

Helen

Don't get me started! :police: My wife and I devote an entire week to this very activity every year at the Grand Canyon Star Party. This will be our 10th year. I've got thousands of stories like yours, Justin, very literally. This year's trip is coming up in two weeks, and I can't wait.

My mother in law is down visiting from Istanbul, last night her and the Mrs. came up onto the terrace to have a look at Saturn , Jupiter and the Moon.

I've know idea why but despite constantly putting it in the centre of the eyepiece 4 times she couldn't see Saturn at all. However, I did get a 'ne guzel' (how beautiful) when looking at Jupiter and it's moons and a 'harika' ( wonderful) when viewing the moon. She was somewhat freaked out to be honest ( bear in mind that the education system in her time was nothing like it is now), this was something very special for her. Made me feel good too.

Don't get me started! :police: My wife and I devote an entire week to this very activity every year at the Grand Canyon Star Party. This will be our 10th year. I've got thousands of stories like yours, Justin, very literally. This year's trip is coming up in two weeks, and I can't wait.

That must be so rewarding 8). You must really enjoy your "work".

Last viewing session, I was accompanied by my Father. He is 82 and to say he was excited/impressed was an understatement. To impress someone who has lived through and experienced so much was a real buzz :D.

Cheers

Bill :D

Those with more, "experience" are the best, in my experience. We had a pair of older Chinese women literally shouting with excitement and pushing at each other for another look at the Sun a few years ago when it was very active. They were very excited and tried to pay us! It was hard to make them understand we were volunteers only, but what a great experience!

Archived