NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars through 12" SCT

mert

So i've got the scope out cooling just now, hope the cursed clouds stay away, what detail on Mars should I expect through a 12" sct?

Will prob use a 8mm & 12mm Televue eyepiece for the job.

Thanks

Be interested to hear what you got. The seeing has been patchy the last few nights but I'd expect you could have picked out the bright north polar cap with a dark band of material around it? If your eyes and seeing are good you might have got some other markings too?

Mars is really small at the moment. Markings should become more obvious the further we get towards spring :p

have had the one look at it using my cpc 925/13mm Ethos. The only real detail I could make out was the Northern polar region, its still a great sight though, the fact we have had some kit roaming around it for some time makes me believe it can only be a matter of time before someone is stood on it. :)

I caught this detail on the red planet on 18 December:

".....a small, strongly orange / rust coloured gibbous disk which had an apparent diameter of around 8 arc seconds. The northern polar cap was clearly visible at 150x and 180x as was a sizeable elongated dark surface marking - I guess that was Syrtis Major as that's the largest and most distinctive dark area visible on the disk of Mars..."

That was using my Skywatcher ED120 refractor.

I've had very detailed observations in the past with a 12" SCT during favourable oppositions of Mars. Recent views through a 8" SCT on Tenerife and a 16" SCT in the UK showed the polar cap with a light grey collar and a couple of ill defined dark patches, one of which must have been Syrtis Major due to the size. Very high magnifications are needed at the moment as the angular size is small it will get better in the coming months, weather permitting.

Archived