Which end do I look through.

I am thinking of buying a startravel 120 scope.It seems that it is not sold as an ota.The tripod that comes with it is 4ft tall.This means that pointing skywards the EP is about 3ft above ground.As I am 5ft 9" I would have to look through the object lens or dig a hole to stand in.What good is this?I bought a horizon 8115 for my startravel 80 ota but it seems the 120 is too heavy for it plus I do not want to buy a tripod that is no use to me.Please do not tell me to sit down because that is no good to me.

As I am 5ft 9" I would have to look through the exit lens
:confused::eek:

We all look through the exit lens.:p

I know people of 6' 4" that look through the exit lens.:icon_salut:

That is the bit you are supposed to look through.:D

Buy a bigger tripod. I used a meade ETX for several years on a camera tripod and it was fine. ETX's are a lot heavier then a ST120.

Sorry Capricorn I should have said object lens.You omitted to mention which tripod you mounted your ETX on or how tall it was.I also feel that if you have to buy the tripod with the scope it should be fit for purpose.Cheers.

I mount my f5 st120 on an alt/az 3 tripod, it seems fine on this. If you have the long tube version of the scope you may need a beefier mount.

You'll need a 90 star diagonal which you look down into, and a chair to sit on, though it is still difficult looking at objects near zenith

In answer to John, so far the only tripod that looks tall enough and strong to support the 120 at the height that I require is the manfrotto 475-B which adjusts to about 2mtrs and supports up to 12kgs.Now all I need is to find someone on this forum that has used one.

Archived