Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M51 revisited

Robfal

Lovely Rob. Tight round stars and dust lanes showing up. The brighter areas would stand a tiny bit of sharpening imho but then it might not look quite as natural. What set up are you using?

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Martin Kit used

Startravel 120 refractor

EQ6 Pro Mount (I love this)

HX516 camera used unguided

With this setup I can get up to 2 mins subs if I'm really lucky but most are 30-60sec. With guiding however (more toys!!!) My next purchase is going to be another scope (ed80) whilst I would also like to swop the Startravel for a 8" SCT or similar. Then my setup would be getting somewhere near

I will have another play with the processing (sharpening) just read aninteresting article in PA on this. If I get any real improvement I'll post again

Rob

That's a nice image Rob.

Looking at the SNR of the picture, as has already been suggested, there is likely some motre detail to be extracted from it.

With a good SNR like that, you can afford to be a bit more aggressive with the processing, perhaps a bit of 'unsharp maskimg'.

Dave

Whats that going on to left just down a bit from the middle? Its a sort of trail but not constant...

I think you are looking at the bridge of nebulosity between the 2 galaxies.

Archived