Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Powered USB hub.....

Hi there,

I cant seem to get my computer to recognize my pieces of equipment (DSLR, mount, webcam.)

All of these item's work fine when directly connected via USB ports to the computer.

However I am trying to get my set up to work from indoor's and so bought myself a powered USB hub and power interface (outputting at 5V) and a Usb 10m repeater cable.

Lights are working on the USB when just connected to power idicating its powered. However once all my pieces are plugged into the hub and the hub into the computer I get no connections to the equipment.

If that makes any sense and somebody could shed some light onto why this may be happening I would appreciate it alot!

Thank you.

This is the hub im using > High Speed 7 Port USB 2.0 HUB+UK AC Power Adapter Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

This is the power interface > http://www.maplin.co.uk/3a-digital-car-power-adaptor-115314

(using canon utility, phillips webcam (all drivers installed and correct) EQMOD and hitecastro EQdir module as scope control connection)

Ste.

I suspect that if you open the hub up that it's quite likely poorly soldered and has components missing, probably capacitors. How are you powering the hub from your DC adapter? if it's from 5v it may not quite be enough, as the unit may be expecting 5.25v to account for a voltage drop across a diode (which is quite possibly missing too).

I had a similar issue with a powered 7 port hub trying to get my Meade DSI and Canon 40D to communicate and get recognized by my main computer. I was running two 16 foot powered USB cables (booster cables) and two non-powered USB cables to the hub which is indoors near my computer. The signal degradition was enough to keep my main computer from recognizing either piece of equipment. I tried moving the 7 port hub outdoors near the scope and one powered USB cable as the connection to my computer. It helped, but not 100% of the time. To make a long story short, the final fix was internal with the computer. The USB ports in the computer attached to the motherboard with a ribbon cable...the connection at the motherboard had high resistance.

Disconnected the ribbon cable, applied a small amount of electrical contact grease to the ribbon cable and it's fixed. Doesn't matter now where I put the 7 port hub. Hope this helps as it might not be your problem, but you might try relocating your hub as mentioned.

Greg

I'll add my thoughts to the good advice already posted.

What's the 10m USB repeater cable? AFAIK USB cables can only be up to 5m.

I use a 5m USB repeater and a 13 port hub connected to two cameras, a focuser, filter wheel and a serial interface. It's all fine.

What can matter is the order in which connections are made because everything is a USB device, even the repeater cable and hub. What I do (when I remember) is:

Turn the PC on

Connect the repeater cable to the PC

Connect the hub

Power on to the hub

Wait for the PC to sort that lot out

Connect each device. Bear in mind that a device connected using a different USB connection path may be seen as a different device and need to reinstall it's USB connection.

Chris

Thank you for all the advice.

It seems to all work now. I took the advice of testing each component to see if there were problems with a particular piece and as far as I can tell that was the short crappy A>B USB printer cable that came with the hub!

Replaced this cable and everything worked fine, all connected and was recognised in all programs! Phew thank god for that! I might actually, finally get my first guided image done at some point in the next two weeks!

Now just to get the polar alignment spot on! :D

Thanks again to all for the advice.

Ste.

Polar alignment with EQMOD is really easy and accurate. Literally 2 clicks if the mouse.

See Chris's YouTube videos for a nice tutorial. I can get in excess of 30 min subs just using that alone.

I should add that these figures are for guided subs. For unguided I struggle over 4 minutes.

Archived