Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IR filter for toucam imaging

I have taken image sof Saturn with and without the IR filter.I dont think it makes a huge diffrence to be honest. It does make the colour a bit better. The thing is that the webcam is used to having an IR filter on it so it will not properly focus IR light. This can throw the whole focus out slightly. For the money they are I would suggest using one. I leave it on all the time and it acts as a dust shield as well :police:

I understand the filter will block deep reds that can spoil an image, but I am not sure whether it applies to planetary images. Maybe Nebula stuff.

Perhaps a more professional answer will appear soon Martin.

Ron.

There are two kinds of IR filter, the IR cut filter which stops the IR light and the IR pass filter which lets the IR light through and stops all the rest.

The IR cut filter is best when you have a colour webcam for imaging as the IR light shows up as blur because it doesn't focus in the same place as visible light. Stopping the IR stops the blur.

The IR pass filter works well for monochrome cameras because the IR light is less affected by seeing. Using an image taken through the IR pass filter along with RGB filtered images for the colour is supposed to work really well.

Captain Chaos

Archived