Jupiter - 27th looks interesting

Stu

Just noticed that the night of 27th December looks very interesting. Ganymede, Callisto and Europa all close together with two transits and two shadows on the surface at once. GRS also transiting and them Io appearing from behind the limb. All finishing about 6 in the morning, could be a long night if clear.

Have posted this in observing, but would be great to see images, or even an animation of it all.

Chances of clear skies???

Stu

I tried an animation of a moon appearing from behind Jupiter before. I can't say the results are amazing, but it was useful practise. I really ought to master still images first!

Unfortunately, the family will have left, and new scope will have arrived. So there is NO chance of a clear sky that night, sorry!

I usually use calsky.com, but that site just tells you the times and dates of the transits and what-not, rather than giving you a diagram of what Jupiter and the Galilean moons look like at any given time. If you want to do that http://www.shallowsky.com/jupiter/ is great.

For this event, if you jump forward to Dec 27th 20:00 (ish), then move forward until about 06:00 the next morning, you can see the various things that Stu mentions

Doh! So that's a minor flaw in my otherwise perfect plan :-)

Thanks chaps. In my excitement I forgot to look at that annoyingly relevant figure next to something that said 'Alt' :-)

Shame, and sorry for the false alarm. Anyway, looks like the moons will be interestingly positioned earlier in the evening.

Cheers, and sorry again

Stu

Doh! So that's a minor flaw in my otherwise perfect plan :-)...

Easily done. I've often planned some observation or imaging session, then a little voice in my head says '...er. You do realise that the sun will have risen two hours previously?', or something. I carefully check these things now!

Doh! So that's a minor flaw in my otherwise perfect plan :-)

Thanks chaps. In my excitement I forgot to look at that annoyingly relevant figure next to something that said 'Alt' :-)

Shame, and sorry for the false alarm. Anyway, looks like the moons will be interestingly positioned earlier in the evening.

Cheers, and sorry again

Stu

never mind Stu - like the rather classic use of a 'Homerism'.

I was getting excited too until I read the later posts! I doubt you are alone in your occasional misreading of such timings - I can guarantee you that you have at least one companion - me!

Thanks all for your understanding.

That's the danger of using an App which simply shows Jupiter and it's moons rather than a planetarium program which makes it blindingly obvious when the planet sets.

My pea-sized brain saw 'night' and 'something interesting' and computed the wrong answer :-). Guess I've been spoilt by Jupiter being visible 'all night' and had forgotten when it was setting these days.

Will be more careful in future

Cheers

Stu

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally gotten into Astronomy (Life long passion, never had the time)

Now i have. I've started with a Simple Celestron Astromaster 130 and have had 3 clear nights since christmas. Each time seeking out and observing Jupiter.

first two times i could see Jupiter and 4 moons, this evening though i'm more than sure i saw 6?

One (the closest one) even looked like a double moon. I.E 2 moons in orbital alignment with maybe (observing wise) a few millimetres between them.

Happened tonight around 8pm (UK). probably a school boy (I'm 31 though) error of some kind!

They may be stars, looking at stellarium HIP 8887 and HIP 8859 are quite close to the planet and do look very similar to the moons:)

PS. just noticed that was your first post, welcome to the forums!

If you havent already got the program, stellarium is a completly free program that will show you exactly where everything is in the night sky, its invaluable!:)

It can be found here..

http://www.stellarium.org/

Archived