Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Horsehead & Flame nebula

blinky

This is 2hrs in mainly 10min subs taken over Friday and Saturday nights. Scope was my ALtair 8" F4 and the Cam was the QHY8, I am a little worried about the colour/brightness of this (See my thread in the tips/techniques section) so can I have some critique please? How does this really look?

post-13107-133877707538_thumb.jpg

Somehow it looks "right" Craig, almost like a glossy magazine print of it! On the contrasty side on my monitor though, but you haven't clipped the black point by the look of it. I have to say, I really rather like it :)

The thing that jumps out would be that the collimation is a bit out. Tricky to get it right at F4.

Nice result anyway!

Cheers

Tim

Looks lovely... as others have said, perhaps a little ott on the contrast and maybe a bit over saturated on the colour (though I'm always getting criticised for my images not having enough colour :-).... I'd also take the green down in the shadows as the blacker bits of sky, and the bit around Alnitak is looking a teensy bit green...

but a stunning pic!

Ben

Nope, it's the same image! At work this still looks too dark but last night in the Obs PC it looked fine. I guess there is more variation in monitors than I thought! Or is it because I have embedded the colour profiel in the image?

I agree on the green. If you don't have PI (for its SCNR routine) there is a free green zapper at Rogelio's Deep Sky Colors website. The spikes are splitting, too, which I guess is what Tim's hinting at. But, but...

...it's a cracker, surely. The reflection nebs are blue, the Ha is red and flame is that unique yellowish colour seen nowhere else. Alnitk is being made to behave (beautifully) and the whole thing shines. Well impressed. Especially with Alnitak. Low bow.

Olly

Nope, it's the same image! At work this still looks too dark but last night in the Obs PC it looked fine. I guess there is more variation in monitors than I thought! Or is it because I have embedded the colour profiel in the image?

It is quiet frustrating to have a nice image on your screen only to look at it on another and cry, this happens to me too much

Archived