Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

• 2 weeks later...
If I took this out in the car out to where there is no light pollution, what would be the best way to set it up? Could it be done on top of the car or better to get a compact table to take?

I personally wouldn't recommend setting up on top of the car :D

This scope is designed to sit on the ground in its base. All you will need is a small tarp to lay on the ground first, especially if you are set up in a field.

I have the 10" and that is very easy to manuveoure as it has an easy tension control handle. Just seatbelt across the backseat of your car and put the base in the boot. Job Done.

I agree with this, in fact it is what I have done when out camping and stargazing with friends! Then set up in a field with the base on the floor, and away you go!

If I took this out in the car out to where there is no light pollution, what would be the best way to set it up? Could it be done on top of the car or better to get a compact table to take?

The 200p stands about 4 feet tall when it's pointing straight up. It's not huge, but it definitely goes on the ground. There's a pic of someone with the 150p in this thread: http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/128173-look-size-thing-2.html I believe the 200p is the same length, just wider.

Hi

I have the same model you're looking for and it is very simple to set up / transport. The tube fits across the back seat of my Rover 25 and the base fits in the boot area (removing the parcel shelf). Setting up / taking down is a five-minute job. When not in use the scope sits in a corner of the bedroom under its cover.

If you're undecided take yourself along to your local astro club on an observing evening and try some scopes out before making a final decision.

HTH!

I got the skyliner 150p for xmas. This scope seems huge to me.

For me personally the size of my scope is at the max as in if i went larger i would simply not take it out as often because i couldnt be bothered to move it. It is the simplest scope a beginner like me could choose as its a pick up, cool down and look scope .

Archived