NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Better Barlow!

up2nogood

Generally, the quality is reflected in the price, but you have given a 2" and a 1.25" barlow to compare. I would 'guess' from the price of the different sized items that they are of similar optical quality. I have the SW deluxe 2x barlow that came with a SW Startravel 80T. It is made of plastic (with glass lens) and won't be of great quality optically, but for a budget barlow it is fine.

Both are of decent quality. As David says the Revelation is a 2" barlow though. Another 1.25" barlow worth considering is the TAL 2x:

First Light Optics - Tal 2x and 3x Barlows

TAL are Russian and though they don't look as "glossy", optically they are very good for their cost.

I agree with John. I use an older Tal 3x and that is optically good and solidly made. I expect the latest ones will be the same.

I have a Revelation 2.5x Barlow 1.25" size which is poor IMO. I have a 2x Celestron and a "no name" x3 which are much better. Maybe I was unlucky but it's put me off Revelation.

Hi Team I was bought a Celestron Ultima 2x Barlow as it had received good reviews on this site... I have to say that it appears to darken my viewing quite a lot... do you think this could be due to the fact I have a small fast scope (at the moment) :icon_salut:

Hi Team I was bought a Celestron Ultima 2x Barlow as it had received good reviews on this site... I have to say that it appears to darken my viewing quite a lot... do you think this could be due to the fact I have a small fast scope (at the moment) :icon_salut:

All barlows will dim the view, so to speak. A 2x barlow will approximately double the f ratio of the scope and effectively make it slower.

On a camera doubling the f ratio means reducing the size of the aperture whilst maintaining the same field of view, but with a scope you cannot change the aperture size and so the field of view shrinks instead. I think that is how it works......

Archived