Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recommended coma corrector for F/5 Newt

Hi All

As the title says. Also would it be worth getting a visual/ imaging coma corrector to improve visual observing as well as imaging or dose the addition of more glass do more bad than good to the already poor views of cheap EP's ??

Either way I would appreciate peoples recommendation on coma correctors for imaging. :)

I have the Baader for Imaging, I have not got round to using it yet however as im waiting on an adapter to install my new focuser.

However from my research into it, there is not much between the Skywatcher and the Baader, but the bader does come with a visual option. I did read a thread where it was discovered that the skywatcher has a small reduction also.

My personal opinion is it's too much faffing around for visual, but for imaging it's a huge improvement - almost mandatory at f5 I'd suggest (in my humble opinion.)

Should state I also have the Baader, but only got the corrector - you can add t-extension tubes and a 1.25" to t-thread EP holder on it to use for visual if you have those bits already.

I recently got the SkyWatcher CC for my F4 Newt but haven't tried it out yet as I thought I already had a Canon adapter. Turns out you need the SkyWatcher M48 one not a standard T adapter.

However, playing with it in daylight using the 'Visual' setup in the instructions I've so far found it impossible to focus using an eyepiece as the supplied 2" adapter is rather long!

I use a Baader MPCC with my 6" f/5 Newt for imaging with a DSLR. It has made a huge improvement to my images.

Edit: Compare the corner stars in these two showing more or less the same field of view. I don't need to label which is which.

post-18573-13387770353_thumb.jpg

post-18573-133877703538_thumb.jpg

I think it's ideal to do that Nick but not essential for visual as I don't think we can often see the difference. I could be that the discussion we had about my 16" showing some coma at certain points was due to me not being spot on with the adjustment after changing eyepieces but it's not that bad as you saw.

I'd not worry that much if you are likely to be mainly AP in future.

Archived