NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

hello east midlands.

Alec S343 UNSC

hello all,i got my very first scope on the 28th of october,it was a argos 50mm scope at a tidy 23 pound :) for the first time i saw jupiter and her 4 largest moons and it took my breat away,since then i have brought a 900mm focal,114 objective jessops reflecter scope,many will argue that i made a bad choice in scope but i am very happy with it and its results.

last night i found M38 but due to my lack of skill i couldnt find M36 and M37,i had set up the scope stand wrong and ended using the wrong turning handle to turn the scope up and down which resulted in the scope shaking but i fixed the problam this morning and now shakes are at a minimal.

i also want to improve my photo taking of planets and moons,upto yet i have manged to get shots of jupiter and her moons and our moon,using a 2mp mobile phone cam and a steady hand.

my first attempt on my first scope is linked here http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-sketches-unconventional/162897-jupiter-using-50mm-scope-2mp-mobile-cam.html

and my next attepts at our moon and jupiter with my new scope using the same cam here http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-sketches-unconventional/165985-moon-jupiter.html

all i crave is them clear nights and the next day off work lol

thanks for the welcomes :)

yes,i dont plan on buying any more cheap scopes lol

i have questions,i want eyepiece upgrades for my scope,im willing to pay 50-100 pound on them but need to know what eyepieces do what,i know the smaller the mm the more magnification you get but what other things can good eyepieces do?

also,i had a first time look at orions nebula this morning and my scope does not pick up the red light,only white,im aware that my scope cant collect enough photons to form red light but can i get it modified or the mirrows upgraded? or can a good quility eyepiece give me them results?

forgive me but im a total noob at telescopes,i would be thankfull if someone could tell me what mods or upgrades my scope can take,i want to try and make my scope the best i can get it before my next buy, i plan to buy a refracter if i cant make my reflecter better.

by the way,my forum name is short for Alec Spartan-343 of the United Nations Space Command, im a big time halo fan.

I think you've probably done the first obvious thing to improve it by reducing the vibrations. You can also damp it a bit more by hanging a weight directly beneath it. Tightening up the leg joints and mountings also help - bit not too tight that it "rigidifies" everything. You could also make a dew shield for it which would help block out stray light and give more contrast.

The focal length divided by the aperture gives you the f-ratio (ie 900/114 = f7.89). This is a mid range f-ratio scope falling between f-5 and f-10 (common ratios). For planets a long focal length is generally sharper/crisper whereas imaging and viewing dso's is generally better with lower (or faster) f-ratios.

To get the magnification divide the ep size into the focal length (eg 900/20 = 45x). Your eyepieces are well within range for UK seeing (circa 200x is typical on a good night) and your 6mm will give you 150x.

A better quality eyepiece may help, but don't expect too much with a budget scope. I'd suggest coming to a meet with your scope and try a few loaners to see what you get on with (ep's are a highly personal choice).

You will only see colour on planets and some double stars - the hydrogen alpha that gives rise to "redness" in nebulae can only be captured with long exposure photography - it's outside the perceptible wavelngths of the human eye.

You're pics are a cracking start and it can only get better from here. Hope that answers your questions and that we see you at the site sometime :)

You might find it beter to sell that scope and get one with a bigger mirror. Also make sure it's a parabolic mirror they focus the light better (I suspect yours is conical) . Good eyepieces will allways make "some" difference but it won't increase the aperture - just a little more clarity and contrast mostly. :)

cool mate thanks,i dont plan on selling it to be honest,my kids will need a scope when i have them :(

even though i made a bad choice in scope im still gob smacked when i look through it,im never dissapointed with what i see,but thats coming from someone who only brought a scope just over a month ago.

the one thing i want to avoid is looking through other peoples scopes when i get to a meetup,i dont want to do that then feel down that my scope cant get the views like the others.

i have yet to name my scope, i like The Bubble Telescope :)

That would be a smashing scope to start your kids off. I'd suggest something like a 150P for yourself (either on a dob or eq stand). That's what I started with and it's a good all round beginners instrument that will pick out all the popular objects and see a fair bit deeper into space than yours. I hated letting it go even though I got bigger and better scopes lol. :)

Archived