SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My new Ikharus 102mm

spanky

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I guess you're pretty pleased with those. Alnitak has not gone as berserck as it often does! Colour looks good and the stars are decent across the chip.

The only question mark, and it's a small one, is why the blue stars show a slight halo shifted towards about 2.00 o'clock right across the chip? I somehow doubt that this is from the scope optics. Has the camera shown this before?

Steve, I'll take on board your point about reviews needing to address visual observing a bit more thoroughly. Trouble is, I've yet to be sent a visual-only scope but if anyone wants to send an Obsession along here I promise not to take a camera anwhere near it!

Olly

would you belive i was looking at an 80mm version at this years astrofest, would the optics in the 80 be the same quality as the 102 ?

i was torn between the 80mm ikharus ian king is selling and the star wave 80mm that altair astro sell, did alittle compairing when i got home online anly to find that these two scopes are exactly the same just rebadged.

for the £345 with a reducer i thought they where a good buy.

what are your thoughts ?

ian king is selling and the star wave 80mm that altair astro sell, did alittle compairing when i got home online anly to find that these two scopes are exactly the same just rebadged.

Not quite, the starwave has a 3" focuser but the Ikharos 80 only has a 2" focuser.

Lee

Olly - yes I'm very pleased! I think the effect you are describing is slightly more pronounced in the second picture. I know on that one that I didn't get the camera sat properly on the focuser. I ended up with some wonky stars in the corners, most of which have been cropped out. The brass compression rings tend to want to pop the camera out slightly, any tips and tricks on how to stop that from happening?

Olly - yes I'm very pleased! I think the effect you are describing is slightly more pronounced in the second picture. I know on that one that I didn't get the camera sat properly on the focuser. I ended up with some wonky stars in the corners, most of which have been cropped out. The brass compression rings tend to want to pop the camera out slightly, any tips and tricks on how to stop that from happening?

That would explain it. Solution? Twist the brass insert round till one end is over the lockscrew and screw in the lockscrew. Now you can get hold of the brass strip with pliers, pull it out and throw is as far as you can. I generally aim for the central Sahara... Or you can keep it and put it back next time you want your camera to sit at an angle or your EP to snag momentarliy on being withdrawn and slip from your fingers onto the ground!!! You can tell I'm not a fan :icon_scratch:.

If using and extender, they are available with 2 and 3 lockscrews. I have one from Altair Astro. We had been using an extender with 1 screw in Yves' 14 inch and switching to a 2-screw solved our tilt problem. Ideally it is best to be screw-fit all the way.

Olly

I appreciate how difficult imaging is.

I don't intend any disrespect Steve but until you have tried it you can have no idea how difficult and demanding imaging can be. Cantankerous kit which all too often simply does not do what it says on the tin. Machiavellian image processing software and just to put the icing on the cake the good old British weather! All these things and many more have to be overcome, but perversely that in itself turns out to be one of the rewards, in the end the sense of achievement is extremely gratifying regardless of how many thousands have done it before you. Most of us, especially the older ones have done the visual, it used to be all there was to do, but modern equipment has added another wonderful dimension to the hobby and I count myself amazingly fortunate to living and imaging here and now.

Some interesting comments as long as the statements remain polite without any insults. I feel slightly sorry for Spanky because I think his astro photos are very good and we seem to have lost comments on his work going into the merits of testing fracs. I would have been ' the over moon' if I had produced these images with a Ilharus 102mm frac.

Mark

Well said. I agree, they are fantastic images and I thank Spanky for sharing them and his thoughts on his new purchase.

Archived