Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quick snap wiv me new lens... :)

Takahashi

OK, I am a happy man. Since getting my 70-200 f2.8 mkII last week, I've had NO chance to try it out properly due to work & weather, but as I walked though the door tonight coming home from work, the Moon was showing off, so I grabbed the 7D, rattled off a few test shots, and this is probably the best of the seven I took :

_0030178-2b.jpg

Single shot : 200mm (320mm aps-c equivalent) 1/125th second exposure @ f7.1, some sharpening and contrast levelling in Lightroom, but otherwise as is. This lens is amazing at controlling CA.

I've struggled (sort of ;)) to justify the cost of this thing, but even on this first snatched 5 minute session, I can immediately see its potential. Roll on the good weather... PLEASE. ...or at least make the rain stop. undecided.gif

That is quite some lens, one I wouldn't mind myself ;)

Very nice image as well, I like this period in the lunar cycle as the shadows on the terminator are alway good, providing a lot of contrast on the lunar surface.

Thanks, I'm suitably amazed by this result from a single shot, through non-astro apparatus.

Mark, how do you find the 100mm L IS? It's on my shopping list, and I've heard (read) it's no slouch in the general mid-range telephoto stakes either, besides its obvious, intended role as a macro. Trouble is, I've seen so many pix of it with the MT-24 dual flash rig attached to it, and this is what I'm now envisioning as a macro-rig, but @ £700 for the lens, and more than that for the flash setup... Jeeeeez... can this hobby get any more expensive?

Nice job Ivor... I'd love one of those lenses myself. Ivor, for Macro, have you considered the MPE65 ?? doesn't have IS, it's not a lot more expensive than the L, but goes to 5x magnification ;)... (I want one of those too...)

John, I have indeed, but I've read all sorts of horror stories about how demanding it is "in the field", ie, the need to be uncomfortably close to your quarry, and requires a very stable yet versatile tripod/mount setup, even for the most basic of shots. It was my first choice for quite a while, but those potentially nightmarish demands have dropped it to 2nd place. For now. ;)

Archived