NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

TAL150P8

Welcome to SGL Kahla :). I've never seen a TAL 150P8 probably because as Steve says, they're probably not even here! However, I did own a TAL 150P and it was t'riffic. Imagine a bigger version of your TAL1 and that's pretty much it.

Just a little thing though, your TAL1 has a 4.3" mirror and the TAL 150's have a 6" mirror as you're only gaining another 1.7", don't expect the difference to be that huge. It certainly won't be like night and day.

SGL welcome from me too :D

That new TAL-150P8 is basically a Tal-2 (150/1200 f8 rather than the 150/750 f5 of the Tal-150) with a few mods as you can see on the T.ru site; the 2-inch focuser, and better contrast with the smaller central obstruction make it look real good on paper.

Ain't seen one and I reckon the lads are right; NOT for sale over here. All the Euro mainland Tal suppliers'll have them and be able to advise. Should be a great scope though, the old Tal2 was superb. I'd like to say it'll be a HUGE step up, but that little Tal1 is a bit of a giant killer 8) (coat ready :) )

I'd like to say it'll be a HUGE step up, but that little Tal1 is a bit of a giant killer 8)

Really mate? Having gone from a 6" to a 10" (HUGE difference), then down to an 8" (not so big a difference) and compared all three, I wouldn't have thought 1.7" would have been that much even taking in the smaller central obstruction. Quality scopes nonetheless!! Still looking out for a 100R....

Still looking out for a 100R....

They been thin on the ground lately eh? One'll turn up :)

Tal1 - 150p8? Reckon the difference on planetary n lunar'd be noticeable; max of x220 or x300, n I know the 110mm is happy at well over max on a good night - but the p8'll probly be the same. But like I said, that lil T1's a giant killer :) S' pretty good on fuzzies too but pretty sure they'd show up MUCH better in a 6" from the same people. Never gonna get me grubby mits on one to compair by the looks :D

Still looking out for a 100R....

They been thin on the ground lately eh? One'll turn up :)

Tal1 - 150p8? Reckon the difference on planetary n lunar'd be noticeable; max of x220 or x300, n I know the 110mm is happy at well over max on a good night - but the p8'll probly be the same. But like I said, that lil T1's a giant killer :) S' pretty good on fuzzies too but pretty sure they'd show up MUCH better in a 6" from the same people. Never gonna get me grubby mits on one to compair by the looks :D

Yeah, I saw one on astro buy & sell for a ton, but it didn't have the finder or the spreader plate for the tripod :lol:. I'm in no hurry for one, I'll grab one eventually. I bow to your experience about the 150P8 Matt!

Sorry mate, what I meant was that I bow to your experience with TAL's and astro in general. Just out of curisoity though, what would be the advantages for the f8 tube over the f5? Other than higher magnifications, I'm struggling...

Heh, as a fellow relative noob I asked that one not long ago. Couldn't get my head round it - thought there was some sort of wizardry going on. None of it apparently;

Yup, there was the higher mag answer that came back first.

As an addition the longer tube reflectors normally? (read sometimes) have a smaller secondary. Smaller obstruction = better contrast. Also the long tube Tal1 and Tal2 have spherical mirrors which are easier to 'get-right' in production than parabolics, so the odds are they are gonna be good anyhoo.

There was something about more coma in a short f5 tube too but I can't remember the exacts. Also in the thread I think where the pros of having an f5 8) It's in the eq.disc somewhere matey :D

And not a pointy hat or staff in sight :)

Yeah, that'd make sense Matt. A longer light cone wouldn't need such a big secondary hence a smaller obstruction and more light gatheriing capacity. Could this also be why shorter ratio scopes can be picky about eyepieces?

Shorter, faster scopes have steeper light cones that are more demanding of an eyepiece (whose job it is to straighten the cone before it reaches your eye). Fast Newtonians are also more prone to coma, which is why they tend (ought) to have parabolic mirrors (longer/slower scopes around f8 and over can make do with a regular spherical mirror).

So, what you think of TAL150P8?

Is the uprgade enought comaparing TAL-1?

TAL-150K with 1550mm focal lenght could be the one, but.. TAL-200K is not much more expensive than 150K, and extra 5 centimeters in mirror is good value :police:

T

Archived