Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The roof is rolling...

ollypenrice

The main 'chassis' for my rolling roof is now on its rails and seems to work fine, very much like my three rolling sheds (one of which is being modded into a firewood cutting shed, probably.)

There's a bit of triangulation added since these lunchtime snaps but the ply top and side panels will do most of the triangulating. To stop the thing going parallogram end-on there will be thrust rollers on the warm room walls and a drop down panel at the rear for when the roof is closed. The roof will also be captive so as to stop wind lifting it.

The overhanging end of the rail will be properly supported in due course.

We are having stunning weather so I should get it sealed up before any wild or white stuff makes it this way.... Famous last words. ;)

Olly

ROPLLING-FROM-BELOW-M.jpg

ROLLING-3-M.jpg

ROLLING-OPEN-M.jpg

I hope you have some drain holes in the rails Olly, standing water + cold = ice, not good for rolling! ;)

I know, I have that with the present sheds and can't do much about it since they are on the ground! In this design only the warm room stretch of rail will be exposed, the rest will be fully concealed. I aim to have some wooden baton with a wider top hanging on little chains below the exposed parts. In times of snow and ice I'll just sit them in the rails.

There will also be the issue of de-snowing the warm room roof to roll the scope roof over it but, again, I have a plan. There is high ground to one side of the obsy so I will make an ultra long-handled snow pusher which I will operate from up there.

I've tried to think of everything based on 7 years with the roll-offs. We'll soon find out what I've forgotten!

Olly

[quote ...I've tried to think of everything based on 7 years with the roll-offs. We'll soon find out what I've forgotten!

Olly

Funny how you remember what you've forgotten just too late ;)

Looking good. The ply will stiffen the framework. Formula 1 stuff!

Archived