NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 200P Skyliner Dobsonian or 200P Explorer EQ5?

wisewoman

Hey there,

So i'm looking at buying a scope - got my eye on the Skywatcher Dob Skyliner 200P and the SW Explorer 200P on EQ5.

I was thinking about trying my hand at astrophotography (so thought EQ5 mount) but now think i'ts going to be a while before I get the rest of the gear together as its pretty expensive! So putting astrophotography to one side - which scope do you think is the better? They are slightly different in specs. I was also wondering how easy they both are to dismantle / move around. (I'm not thinking of moving it about regularly)

I have around £300 to spend so I would probably go for a second hand Explorer as they are more expensive but don't mind that if it is worth it. Or maybe you would recommend something else entrirely?

Anyone have any experience of these two beauties and care to give an opinion? ;)

Thanks,

Melissa

I would think you would get some images out of the explorer, possibly better with a web cam, and there have been images posted with a web cam in the Dob. I think the advice for any sort of Astro imaging is a decent mount with accurate tracking.

If you just want visual, then you won't go wrong with the Dob, a great scope that has many good reviews. As for taking it to bits, unscrew the handles out of the base, and it lifts out of the base, screw the handles back in and it makes carrying it about a lot easier, then move the base. You do have to keep nudging it to keep stuff in your field of view, but after a while it gets to be something you do without thinking about it.

You can of course in the future buy some tube rings for it and mount it on a decent EQ mount for imaging.

Sky-Watcher Explorer-200P (EQ5) | Sky at Night Magazine

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

Do people tend to put their Skyliners on a box or something - even with a length of 1200mm Its going to be quite low down if placed on the ground so i guess there would be a lot of bending over? As i've not seen one in real life I'm trying to figure out how it would work in reality.

Melissa

Do people tend to put their Skyliners on a box or something - even with a length of 1200mm Its going to be quite low down if placed on the ground so i guess there would be a lot of bending over? As i've not seen one in real life I'm trying to figure out how it would work in reality.

Melissa

I sit on a camping stool which puts my eye at the right level for comfortable viewing ;)

The dob sounds more suitable for your stated requirements. A cheap ironing chair or adjustable stool will take the bending out of it for you - you can get them on Amazon under £20 these days.

When funds allow for photography an HEQ5 would be the minimum you want ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived