SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I have a problem

Imp_Perfect

I have this problem you see and I was wondering if anyone else has a similar problem and how they get around it.

Due to a medical condition my eyesight is not what it was, in fact it will get worse as time goes by and there is no medical proceedure that can get it back. Sad but true, so observing has over the past few months got to be very awkward. It is difficult to see through my telescope properly, even binos are not that great (things tend to vanish when I look at them through anything at all.) I can see through the corner of my eye but I can't focus properly and not at all with one eye.

Anyone got any helpful ideas?

I was going to suggest a Mallin cam, but i'm sure an electronic EP is cheaper.

Maybe even a Celestron Neximage?

Thanks Luke, I have never heard of one of those before (Yes I have heard of Celestron ;) just not a Neximage) I will google it and have a look.

There was some good threads on stargazers regarding the use of high sensitivy video camera (CCD's) . They are reasonably cheap and give higher res than say a webcam. The thread was about bringing out faint DSO's in light polluted areas.

It's simple to set up and I'll try and find it and post the link but I'd say a good live image from some sort of camera providing a video-out can be fed into pretty much any monitor or modern TV or handheld device. You could even sit indoors and enjoy the view!

That sounds like a very good idea to me. I think there are a couple of samsung models around which are very sensitive, and give colour images. They also have frame integration modes so that they effectively stack images on the fly and will display very faint objects. With a small lcd monitor connected showing live images you should be well set up. As said previously, with a goto scope controlled from a computer, you could observe comfortably inside :-)

Stu

I have a great little program called "Eos Camera Movie Record". You just hook your camera up to the computer via USB, open the program and press record. It works amazingly well with the camera just on a tripod or hand held. I am unsure if it works when you remove the camera lens and hook the cam up to a scope.

From what i can tell there is no limit to the time you can record. It just seems to go as long as you leave it. The movie is then saved to your computer as an Mpeg.

I'll hook my 450D up tomorrow and see if it works without a lens while attached to a scope.

If you go to the Science section, there is a Video Astronomy area where all the discussion is going on about this sort of astronomy ie Samsung, Watec, Minitron video cameras for video astronomy. Hope that helps

Stu

Archived