orion help needed !

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong here, have had a few sessions with Orions belt over the last week, but have drawn an absolute blank in seeing any of it's associated nebulae.

I have a 127mm newt, eyepieces ranging from 6-32mm and umpteen filters. Tried combos of all available equipment but to no avail ! Any help much appreciated

Cheers,Lee.

The Nebula is in the sword, not the belt :-)

Have a look with bins - you can't miss it!

Use your 25mm EP to find it (if you have one) - you will get better contrast and a brighter image than with the 32mm (I'm guessing your scope is F5).

You may be looking at the wrong area, Orion's Belt (the three stars in a diagonal line) are almost devoid of bright nebulosity. Where you should be looking is the "sword" area a few degrees directly below the belt. You can see the great nebula in the image below under the belt stars. The nebulosity should be easily visible in your mak and even in binoculars.

112orion550x583.jpg

Messier 42 is the only really obvious one and as mentioned, it's in the sword not the belt and is easy in bins and possible naked eye too. you'd see it in your finder scope if you have an optical one.

the others are all reasonably difficult to nigh on impossible (without large aperture/dark sky/filters - or all three) to see.

You are looking for a faint shaped glow around the middle stars of that lower part of Orion..almost like a thin grey mist..You do need a relatively dark sky for it to be obvious. Also wait until its come up a fair bit in the sky away from the horizon..

Mark

Archived