Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

opinion on my eyepieces?

Gonzo

As I wasn't ready to spend 100's in the wrong eyepieces after I got the Megrez, I bought a few cheap ones of Astroboot to start off.

Here's the list:

1. unknown 10mm

2. Meade MA 17mm

3. Revelation Astro Plossl 20mm

4. Series 500 Plossl 40mm

Now, I can't remember which one of the four I have is ****, and by **** I really do mean it's a pos...:icon_confused:

Would someone be kind enough and give me an opinion on what I have?

I'm also in the search of some good ones (without breaking the bank...).

thanks

Gonzo

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which model of the WO Megrez have you got? The eyepiece you will need for a Megrez 66 is different from a Megrez 120.

Anyway, I can't comment on the unknown eyepiece and have no experience with the Revelation. The MA will be poor, as all MA are. The S5k plossl is suppose to be quite good. However, if you have one of the smaller Megrez model the 40mm eyepiece's exit pupil will be too large.

It's hard to suggest eyepiece without knowing the model of your scope. I suggest you list your equipment on your signature. It makes life easier.

Do you wear spectacles?

I could stretch a little bit more that £50, but I'm not yet ready to fork more than £100 per eyepiece if you know what I mean.

I understand that certain eyepiece do cost a lot, but I can't right now.

I am of the same opinion, it's been mentioned many times, but the BST Explorer range from Sky's the Limit are excellent and would work well in your fine scope, two ED glass surfaces inside and great colour rendition, would match the excellent optics of the Megrez 72.

I think the longest FL eyepiece you should get should be no more than 30mm where it will give a exit pupil of 5mm. Longer than that and your pupil will not dilate enough to utilise all the light.

I think you should get a 10mm and a 8mm eyepiece and a good quality Barlow. It will give you 43x, 54x, 86x and 108x with your scope. Your 20mm Plossl should take care of wide field for now.

Go buy an 8mm BST explorer.

Then I suspect a 5mm one, you will want to try for some magnification, then the 18mm to give you a wide field after that.

If after that you want to go/try for more magnification you an get a TMB planetary at 3.2mm or 4mm.

Isn't the 40mm a bit redundant on a Megrez 72 ?

The 40 is not that comfortable to look through it.

A 40mm plossl has 36mm eye relief which I'd consider excessive, even for spectacle wearer. I prefer eyepiece with enough eye relief that I can rest either my glasses or head on part of the eye guard.

I found I'm most comfortable with eyepieces with eye relief of around 20mm.

The 40 is not that comfortable to look through it.

If it is the Meade Series 5000 40mm then it will have a 2-inch barrel and a 60-degree FOV. On your Megrez-72 it will offer 10.8x magnification and 6.7mm exit-pupil. I'm not sure about the eye-relief but I think it is around 28mm. Have you adjusted the twist-up eye-shield?

HTH :icon_confused:

HI Gonzo,

I am with RWilkey and E621Keith, the BST's are great ep's and trying side by side against different fl ep's is the way to go. Skies the limit sent four out to me, two went back!. The 8mm and 18mm are keepers, the 5mm was just too much mag!.

Link below and Alan is thouroghly nice bloke to deal with.

1.25" Eyepieces

Cheers

I've just called Alan @ Sky's the limits, he is the most friendly guy ever. I'm going to get myself a TMB(3.2mm) and a BST (8mm) to start off and as he said: if you don't like one, send it back :icon_confused:

HI Gonzo,

You will be pleased with them both, nicely boxed, cleaning cloth and a real quality feel. Plenty of glass on the exit lens and screw up eyecup on the BST. And of course they are great ep's to look through.

Nice choice, enjoy

I should get my eyepieces by Thursday, they are in stock and leaving tomorrow :icon_confused:

now weather.... you better be kind from Friday night 'til sunday night...

edit.

Thanks for everyone advice, ta very much.

Archived