NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pier base question

skippyinspace

This seams to be a silly question but I thought I would ask it!

I have a a 3 ft hole that is filled with concreate and at the top I of the concreate I have my 4 L bolts, Some how through the concreating proccess the concreate base didnt come out flat.

So the Pier sits on bolts that in some cases is a couple of mm above the concreate.

Is this an issue?

Stu.

If you are using a pier with a solid flat base this is what you need to do.

First place a 50mm x 50mm x 10mm thick packer (or a large washer) in the center of where the pier sits.

Put the pier in place so it sits centerally on the packer and lightly bolt it up.

Place a spirit level on the top of the pier and then gradually tighten the bolts keeping the top of the pier level in all directions as you do so. The pier will pivot on the packer.

Once all the bolts are tight and the pier is level through out 360 degrees mix up a dryish grout of pure cement and water.

Then all you need to do is pack the gap under the pier with the grout and the job is a gooden.

Steelfixer's solution is the one I shall be using (can you tell we're in the same business :icon_confused:) with one small exception, instead of the cement mix, I will be using a non shrinking grout. But the result will be the same.

i`d look to see if the grout is suitable for outside use.

"Grout" is what holds up virtually every steel framed building there is where bolts and cones are used so I think hold a little pier wouldn't be a problem!

i`d look to see if the grout is suitable for outside use,

another surgestion is to purchase some floor leveling compound, Wickes sell a very good one, it`s the pro version which has fibers in it, levels very easily and setts like stone.

And I believe also non shrink, and probably easier to source for DIY. I keep thinking we all have access to everything I use in trade, sorry!

Stu.

If you are using a pier with a solid flat base this is what you need to do.

First place a 50mm x 50mm x 10mm thick packer (or a large washer) in the center of where the pier sits.

Put the pier in place so it sits centerally on the packer and lightly bolt it up.

Place a spirit level on the top of the pier and then gradually tighten the bolts keeping the top of the pier level in all directions as you do so. The pier will pivot on the packer.

Once all the bolts are tight and the pier is level through out 360 degrees mix up a dryish grout of pure cement and water.

Then all you need to do is pack the gap under the pier with the grout and the job is a gooden.

Or just pack underneath the pier with a couple of washers/ strip of metal. The pier doesn't need to be perfectly level...as long as the mount is correctly PA then it will be fine (though it being out of plumb would get my OCD itching) :icon_confused:

Archived