NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Aligning a 200P Dob

One of the easiest ways is with a telrad finder. It has illuminated rings that aren't magnified making it easier for beginners to know what part of the sky they are looking at. A Rigel finder is also the same idea. Do a quick google search on these :)

One of the easiest ways is with a telrad finder. It has illuminated rings that aren't magnified making it easier for beginners to know what part of the sky they are looking at. A Rigel finder is also the same idea. Do a quick google search on these :)

Get a Telrad finder.. :)

Is it possible to equip the same tube with both the stock finderscope and a telrad or red-dot?

yes mate.

also the telrad bullseye is available on the stellarium programe, which could come in handy if you want to print off for star hopping ect.

Best to align the finder on a distant point source during the daytime - a pylon tip or church spire a mile or two away will be good. Finding stuff (if you're new to astronomy) is best done by learning the constellations. Then you allways have a bright star near the target object from which you can hop.

You also need to know the approx object size and select the appropriate eyepiece to use for best chance of finding it - especially for faint fuzzies. A telrad is a great idea which will help immensely - and you can mount it towards the top middle of the dob and it won't interfere with the finder. :)

Best to align the finder on a distant point source during the daytime - a pylon tip or church spire a mile or two away will be good. Finding stuff (if you're new to astronomy) is best done by learning the constellations. Then you allways have a bright star near the target object from which you can hop.

You also need to know the approx object size and select the appropriate eyepiece to use for best chance of finding it - especially for faint fuzzies. A telrad is a great idea which will help immensely - and you can mount it towards the top middle of the dob and it won't interfere with the finder. :)

Hi brant, i noticed your 300P Dob is GO TO, are you able to target/control in manually also? I'm thinking of the GO TO option now as a fail safe really if I end up getting frustrated, or there is a particularly difficult and faint object I want to find. For all other purposes I want to be able to tour the sky manually and subsequently failiarise myself with it. Does it facilitate both?

but with goto you'll never bother with manual - it made me very lazy at least lol :)

Tell me about it! I didn't realize how lazy I'd become until PSP only having my manual dob to look for stuff. Never did find the blue snowball :) but the veil more than made up for that :)

Archived