EQ1 vs EQ2

I'm in the market for an RA clock motor of some sort, but I'm unsure of which type of mount I have. The controlers I've looked at state EQ1 or EQ2 so I'm guessing there must be a difference. I've done a search on google of EQ1's and EQ2's and they both look the same to me.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Rob.

Yea, That's an EQ1.

The RA drive motor "cog" engages with the large chromed wheel shown on the end of the worm shaft. (The little camplate, alongside it, is used to fit the drive cog off/on the worm drive.)

HTH

It's definitely not an EQ1, the large chrome wheel and camplate are only on the EQ2 mount. These features are clearly visible on the photographs of the Explorer 130P First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 130

Peter

Hi All,

My daughter has a very similar EQ2 mount on her Helios 114" newt.

The cam and lever arraingment is used to engage/disengage the drive for fast tracking.

I asked her for info off the box for the drive but it wasn't very informative, Just a serial no. (No 9832 117-9803)

There should be a large ish chrome pin close to the cam, this is where the drive sits/pivots

here's a PDF doc as a picture paints.....

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/documents/36.pdf

I myself own a current-day Synta EQ2 mount SkyWatcher supplies, and I can, with certainty, tell you that the mount in the pictures you supplied is definitely NOT a standard Synta EQ2 mount (perhaps an older version?). Or at least, I think.

Although it shares some distinctive features, the way its polar axis is mounted to the altitude axis is way different, as is the uprotected R/A gear and the slow-motion knobs/cables. Furthermore, there is no default azimuth scale and the altitude and azimuth axes locking knobs are similar to nothing I have ever seen. Also your mount has a matt finish, unlike any EQ2 I have seen. So definitely not an EQ2. See the picture below and compare it yourself.

From what I see, however, my guess that the R/A motor drive for a Synta EQ2 might fit, but I would suggest contacting the supplier and consulting it with him, just to be on the safe side.

post-27855-133877696399_thumb.jpg

The Meade/ Bresser EQ2 looks completely different again!

These are/ were usually suppied with the SkyLux refractor series

(In the Bresser manual it's actually called a "EQ3"! The EQ2 drive unit still fits, but it needs to be mounted upside down!)

Archived