Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fighting LP

Got a street light staring almost directly into my face when looking into an eyepiece, so have to improvise by covering the head with some light and dark cloth. There must be proper solutions for this (covers I mean), no?

If you are having problems like that it is not unusual for astronomers to use a black cloth over head and EP, just like the old plate photographers, alternatively build a portable screen round your viewing area with black plastic, IMHO I would not under any circumstances resort to vandalism, no matter how tempting it might be, if the light is outside your house and shinning into a window you have the right to ask the Council to provide a shield :)

If you are having problems like that it is not unusual for astronomers to use a black cloth over head and EP, just like the old plate photographers, alternatively build a portable screen round your viewing area with black plastic, IMHO I would not under any circumstances resort to vandalism, no matter how tempting it might be, if the light is outside your house and shinning into a window you have the right to ask the Council to provide a shield :)

Exactly! Was looking for that, one but didn't know the name of that cloth that goes over the old-style studio camera with focusing bellows!

Am a big boy - nothing that a trip to B&Q won't sort out!

Gardman Classic Split Bamboo Screening Natural (L)4m x (W)2m, 09507

I am afraid that the only reasonable solution is to pack your gear aboard a car and head for a dark sky spot. Not only would your observation be way more comfortable without any glare, but you will get more rewarding views as well. I reckon it is worth the palaver.

Archived