VERY old solar (and lunar) image

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Just found some prints of slides I took on August 11, 1999. The slides got damaged irreparably by water when moving house, but some prints and copies to negatives were made, so not all is lost. The prints were a bit scratched, but a quick scan and image processing session later, one at least gives some impression of what I saw that day.

Camera: Contax RTS-II

Scope: C8

Mount: Vixen Great Polaris

Film: Fujichrome Provia 100

post-18313-133877694641_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments! We were really lucky on this mirky day. We had just four minutes of sunshine, and they could not have been timed better. Just 60 seconds before totality the clouds parted, and thirty seconds after the end of totality the gap closed again. A very memorable day, indeed.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for sharing this. Would never have thought the original was damaged. So nice to see what I missed due to clouds in the Channel.

Thanks for that. Actually, I made some copies of the original slides onto film with my bellows, macro lens and slide duplication kit to get better dynamic range in print before the slides were damaged. The prints themselves have some signs of wear, but that I could correct with some morphological filtering.

Archived